Target match rifle build.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Target match rifle build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Target match rifle build.

Alright fellow shooters any wisdom will be appreciated, I love shooting and want to get into target match shooting,problem is I know squat about guns. I think I have a good starter rifle it's a Turkish Mauser 98 I think with a 30-06 barrel. Will that work for what I want? I have no idea if it's a large ring or small ring Mauser, how do you tell?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

kpatricn,

We would like to see some pictures to give us a better look at the rifle. In addition what kind of matches are you looking at doing?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Well I was thinking benchrest shooting, I got a rifle blank stock from Boyds. I'm going to build the stock myself at least try anyways. I just want it the be versatile so if I want to go hunting with it I won't have a cumbersome stock on it. The first set of pics are the 30-06, I have also thought of turning my Nagant into a long ranger I think it is an underrated rifle the other set of pics is it.
The 30-06 has a 24" barrel I've been toying with the idea of a bull barrel the mosin was thinking of getting a barrel from a 91/30 so I would have the length the m44 looks to be only 20".
forumrunner_20131026_115105.jpg

forumrunner_20131026_115214.jpg

forumrunner_20131026_115246.jpg

forumrunner_20131026_115559.jpg

forumrunner_20131026_115643.jpg

forumrunner_20131026_115730.jpg

Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking of building the stock along these lines, it's kind of a crappy pic but you'll get the idea. It's going to be out of a laminated blank, with aluminum pillar blocks and glass bedded( what ever that means or does) I've noticed alot of target rifles have that done.

tactical_black_laminate_lhside10inch72dpi_small-1.jpg

Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Sorry to say but, benchrest is way out of the league of an old mauser action now a days.

A decent starter bench gun would be the Savage 12BR in 6br http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12BENCHREST

You don't see many factory actions on the lines today unless they are in a factory class. If someone is using a factory remington action more than likely it is blue printed and sleaved.

Most bench guns use short squat 6mm cartridges like teh 6ppc, 6mmBR, 6dasher stuff like that. You can use a long action like the Mauser but you are losing accuracy because of the long action and the flex.

Benchrest is a whole different monster. I know of a small but growing benchrest comp called Ultimate Benchrest or UBR. This uses targets based on the diameter of your bullet.

If you are real serious about getting into benchrest head over to benchrest central and take a gander at the used rifles.

If you don't want to spend $2k+ just for a rifle. Better stick to the factory class and start with the savage above or Remington 700. You might not think so but there is a lot of time money and effort that goes into benchrest shooting. Many buy custom made bullets along with custom guns. Rests that weigh 30#+ and bags.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

first of all, you have a really nice sporterized Mauser. leave it alone. more than likely you will end ruining it's value trying to modify it. buy another rifle and start from scratch is my suggestion.

hunting rifles can be used for target shooting and target rifles can be used for hunting. but IMO, they should used for their intended purposes as it works out better that way in the long run.

the Mosin is a decent rifle, but will more than likely never be able to achieve the accuracy of most modern bolt action rifles can achieve. you would spend more time and money with little improvement over how it shoots now. and in the end, you could have bought a new rifle with much better accuracy at less money spent.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatricn View Post
I was thinking of building the stock along these lines, it's kind of a crappy pic but you'll get the idea. It's going to be out of a laminated blank, with aluminum pillar blocks and glass bedded( what ever that means or does) I've noticed alot of target rifles have that done.

Attachment 123789
Gunnut has some good suggestions and ideas. i think you need to get a clearer understanding of what it takes to build an accurate rifle. without knowledge of what is involved or how to do it yourself or to tell a gunsmith what you need done, you are in way over your head and will end up spending boatloads of money to only be very disappointed in your efforts in trying to get an accurate rifle.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Understood and well noted,I already have around 800 in the Mosin between the stock bolt and new parts, but it's not like I'm going to sell it, that's what I wanted so did it. I don't care about what I spend it just may take a bit to get it. (Plus I better get my wife a pistol before I spend anymore on guns or I may come up missing).As far as putting time into something, that's how we learn,I can't be disappointed if I tried,I'll learn and keep moving forward. Any good books out there on building rifles from ground up.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 727

Bench rest with an old Mauser, Hmmm. First off, do you hand load??
Second, you need a caliber that is capable to compeat. If I were to do what you are planning, a 6.5x06 would be a starting point. You would need to get the action blue printed.
http://www.vandykerifles.com/blueprint.htm

That is where you start. You should contact these guys and ask if your action is useable. I suggest 6.5x06 because it matches the bolt face as it sits now.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I agree with J.P.. But,you will need to know how to hand load ammo for the 6.5-06 because there is none in factory ammo-it's a wildcat caliber,but a very good long range caliber. Brass is easily made by necking up 25/06 brass or down sizing the necks on 30/06 brass.
But,it would be cheaper for you to buy a completely new factory rifle that is pretty much ready to go out of the box like a Savage 12 series. The 260 Remington,6.5 Creedmoor or 308 would work just fine for you starting out.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This