Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Talk me in or out of a mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you find a nice one, go for it. There are several good Youtube videos on how to cure the sticky bolt, how to do a trigger job and so on. (iraqveteran8888 has several). As for the kick, the 91/30 is not too bad, but the M44 kicks a lot. So much more that I do not enjoy shooting the M44. A quick check for the barrel can be done by inserting a bullet in the muzzle; if it stops before hitting the cartridge, it is probably still good. Look for a counterbored barrel. As usual, look at how nice the screw heads are.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #22

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I'm glad you decided to pull the trigger on one (literally). You should look for matching numbers and a good bore. Also, I wouldn't pay over 150 dollars for a round receiver, but a hex is a different story. I have 3 and love them all. The report from the carbine versions really will turn heads, I shot mine yesterday and I was concerned that I was bugging the people sitting around me at the range. Remember, YouTube is a good source of what to look for and check out 7.62x54r.net

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #23

Liked 431 Times on 237 Posts

The recoil isn't really all that bad. If you shoulder it properly it really is a non issue. My step son loves to shoot my mosin's and it is not uncommon for him to put 75-100 rounds through it.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 395

You need to be talked into a $100 or less .30-06 rifle that shoots accurately and has withstood ze Germans when you can get ammunition for it for less than fifty cents a round in crazy times and half that in normal times?

Did I mention it doubles as a very large club and an awesome spear when you run out of ammo. For another $50-$75 you can get an excellent synthetic stock for it from ATI.

Most of my optics mounts cost more than a Mosin.

If you need to arm the neighborhood at a reasonable price, this is the way to do it.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1463 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 737

My mission was to help making it look like an informed decision. I knew where you were going with the "talk me out of it" stuff

Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #26

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I'll take the thankless job of talking you out of it. The Mosin is not an exceptional firearm. It is about military history, re-enactment, and DIY projects. Its practical accuracy is good, but nothing special that a $300 modern hunting rifle won't do. It possesses a heavy kick in spite of its heavy weight. The carbines are especially loud. You will need to double up your hearing protection, or risk an insidious hearing loss over time. That means ear plugs and the muffs, always, which takes some fun out of shooting on a warm day. The trigger pull is gritty. The sights are typically off out of the crate, and may need work. The bore is often dull and dark, although shootable. Some of the Mosins are collectible, others will become, sooner or later. For anything near practical, there are better choices.

If that doesn't convince you... Go get it.
IMHO, if you enjoy older military bolt actions, want to make it work,

don't mind a rifle with recoil, need a tough beater, don't mind a

straight bolt, like the extra weight(maybe you're a larger guy)

maybe you might want to consider a carbine. They are a lot

more practical than the 4 foot + long 91-30. Try to find an

Eastern Bloc M44 in good condition. They're out there, and

well worth the extra 75$ to 125$ you'll pay for them. Forget

the T53. I've yet to find one which didn't look like it was

dragged the length of the Great Wall behind a stampeding Yak.

OTOH, if you need better accuracy, lighter weight, and nicer

scoping advantages, spend the additional 150$ to 400$ on any

number of NIB bolt actions made by modern manufacturers today.

Last edited by therewolf; 10-06-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Again thanks for the info everyone. When I do up getting one it will be this first rifle of its kind in my collection. I have many more modern rifles as well, but I'm thinking this will be a cool change, if I end up liking it it may open up more doors. Now the hunt begins.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlanier9 View Post
Again thanks for the info everyone. When I do up getting one it will be this first rifle of its kind in my collection. I have many more modern rifles as well, but I'm thinking this will be a cool change, if I end up liking it it may open up more doors. Now the hunt begins.
Make sure the serial numbers match at least on the bolt and receiver. The serial numbers should match on the entire gun. The idea is to get a gun that has seen very little service, unless you want a wall hanger. Then you need to know what all the battle stamps mean. If you choose a 91/30 you want one that wasn't manufactured during WWII. None of the Mosin Nagants with a hex receiver were manufactured during WWII. The last year of production for the hex receiver was 1939.

You want a hex receiver and you don't want one that has been counterbored if you plan on shooting it. When you look at the area on the receiver where the bolt locks, there are toolmarks that help hold the bolt closed. The tool marks should be sharp and crisp. If the tool marks on the receiver are wore down the bolt has been cycled many times. Some 91/30's were unissued or issued to a farmer who happened to be a veteran. When the Germans invaded Russia many 91/30s were issued to civilians or buried.

Don't be scared of the length of the 91/30, it is well balanced for shooting unsupported and you don't have a 3' flame coming out of the barrel when you shoot it. My niece that weighs under 110 can handle a 91/30 easily. One of the most prolific snipers of all time was a woman, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, who used a 91/30. She killed over 350 germans with the 91/30, 185 at the battle of Odessa.

You can pick up a recoil pad for the 91/30 on eBay for $5 plus shipping. The eBay recoil pads look rough, they still have the release agent on them that prevents them from getting stuck in the mold. Just wash the recoil pad with your favorite tire cleaner before installation.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

2 words: Get one...

Seriously you will love them. They are pretty and fun as hell to shoot and the ammo is cheap!!!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlanier9 View Post
As well this was my first rifle ever. Cheap and reliable. And it is very cool to know that 99% of those things were actually used and shot at enemy soldiers! Watch enemy at the gates and have your rifle next to you.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...