Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Talk me in or out of a mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts

Just buy one. I found a bunch of beautiful "nonissued" 91/30s in Utah I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 of them Come next pay check if they have any left.
It's like having a new gmc truck really nice and comfortable. But when you jump into the old 76 ford you know you are driving a TRUCK that will do anything ad get the job done. The Mosin is a freaking gun that will do about anything and you won't get mad if it gets banged around either.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 622 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
The excessive recoil is mostly a myth as is the loud report.
Both are real. Nobody says recoil is excessive. The kick feels heavier than the physical recoil because of the steel buttpad. The bang, especially from a carbine, does get better as your hearing gets worse.
Quote:
Most of the milsurp ammo is corrosive and requires hot water flush then normal cleaning soon after shooting.
You may like hot water but it is not required. AS long as the the rifle is cleaned at the end of the day.
Quote:
You can probably double your investment in a short time.
That's a long shot, no pun intended. A commonly sold Mosin is not an short term investment tool.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want a truck that feels and drives like a truck run the old ford. If you want a gun that shoots and feels like a "real" gun get a Mosin
They both are just a little more raw and unbridled.
Just my opinion and experience.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

The only time my mosins dnt shoot right at 1inch at 100 is using milsurp machine gun ammo that is oh so common and corrosive.

The brown bear 200 grain non corrisive new manufacture steel case is about 1.5 to 2 inch and the 180 grain winchester white box runs right at 1 inch. Out of my mosin sniper best group to date with winchester white is .4 inches for 3 shots.

These gins match and sometimes exceed anything produced today when using good ammunition. The only drawback is the very limited availability of .311 bullets for reloading in the 180-200 grain range.

The surplus ammo is pretty weak much less than a 308 new manufactured stuff like brown silver gold bear and especially winchester edges the 30-06 in power.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want a truck that feels and drives like a truck run the old ford. If you want a gun that shoots and feels like a "real" gun get a Mosin
They both are just a little more raw and unbridled.
Just my opinion and experience.
That's fair. It has a lot going for it. I owned one too. Just volunteered to do the "cons" as I figured everyone else will get the "pros" covered.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #16

Liked 320 Times on 189 Posts

Everyone needs a mosin!! I think it is written somewhere. Try and find a hex receiver model.

Again you must have one!! It's just one of those things.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback. As far as the recoil goes that doesn't worry me, I've never had a issue with recoil and can't imagine it can be a whole lot worse than the 30-06. I do realize it is not a new firearm and I don't 100% expect it to shoot like one. The old truck comparison is perfect, and that is exactly what I needed to hear.

Im officially on the hunt for one. While a lot o local shops have them is there anything I should look for and anything I should avoid? And what is the difference in the hex receiver model?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The hexagonal receivers were replaced with the round receivers in the 1920's. A hex receiver is native to, or was recycled from an older rifle. There is nothing else to it.

Look in the bore. You want crisp rifling and minimal dullness,no pitting. The rifles are priced accordingly. Your best chance for an excellent bore is with the M44 carbines, most of which were manufactured after WW2 and many remained unissued. The Mosins are very sturdy, and most likely the very first one you grab will be rock solid. Stock color and the amount of grease don't reflect the true condition. You want an intact buttplate and other metal trim. The ladder rear sight should be functional 100%, and the front post staight no cant.

If you are going for a Mosin, get a Soviet made one. Finn refurbs cost more. Don't spend on Chinese stuff, but this is only an opinion.

Edit. Forgot the trigger. Don't expect much, just a clean break.

Last edited by Mercator; 10-05-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 131 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Maybe 15 to 20 years ago, I would say go for it, 'cause they're cool and full of history. But at this time, I would recommend practicality, like buying something where ammo would be readily available from 'different' sources, such as 308 or 7.62x39, or 223. I'd love to stock up on 41 mag, but practicality says 5.56 instead.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #20

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
The excessive recoil is mostly a myth as is the loud report. both are comparable to other 30 calibers. 1 MOA is not to be expected but is rare. They are easy to work on and very reliable and durable. Bore is usually dark but strong. Some have been counter bored due to muzzle wear because of the steel cleaning rod. They are fun and inexpensive to shoot. Most of the milsurp ammo is corrosive and requires hot water flush then normal cleaning soon after shooting. They usually come with accessories. The price you mentioned is a good price, If I found them for under $100 I would buy as many as my wallet would allow, providing they are in half decent condition. You can probably double your investment in a short time. Bore condition is a priority when picking them. If you don't mind me asking; where did you find them at that price. If you do get one and don't like it you can easily find someone that will. Do some research before you decide to get rid of it. Most problems are easily solved. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a case of them if I had the money. Not a good purchase if you don't want to do some cleaning and tweaking. If recoil scares you, go with something in a smaller caliber but I have a Bum shoulder and I can shoot 100 rounds with no adverse effects. Most people think the Mosins have a lot of recoil because someone has told them it does. Wear ear protection and the recoil is negligible. Buy at least one and have a ball!
I might just be a pu**y but excessive recoil is not a myth. Maybe you're built like an Ox and can stand it but i put 20 through mine and had a big ass bruise for a week. I was shooting rested which I understand is worse but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of recoil, because there is.