Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Talk me in or out of a mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Talk me in or out of a mosin nagant

Local shops have them from $89-120. I just recently came across them and my impulse buyer personality is kicking in. I've read or about the gun and the history behind it and even looked up Russian surplus 7.62x54 ammo and 425 rounds for $90 doesn't sound all to bad and to my understanding the round it pretty close to a 30-06 or 308. So help me out, talk me in or out of this gun please. Good things, bad things anything to help me make up my mind

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I had one many moons ago, a shorter 'carbine' version. I took it straight to a gunsmith and had the straight bolt turned into a turned bolt and had it drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Mounted a cheap 3x9 on it and bought some ammo. It actually shot very well, grouping around an inch at 100 yards. It kicked like a mule though, so I put on a limbsaver recoil pad. Was going to hunt with it, then something else caught my eye and I traded it off. I have been thinking about buying another one just for the cheap ammo.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I bought mine back in June and I've only shot it once. It's a cool rifle to have and still really affordable but as stated it kicks like a mule. I don't have a recoil pad on mine yet but I'd highly suggest it. I don't know how much they help but I do know that you should expect a sore shoulder for sure without one. I bought mine for the cheap ammo thinking I'd be able to shoot it a lot but i am inexperienced with old high caliber rifles so I didn't really know what I was getting into.

To me, it's not a plinking rifle even though the ammo is cheap, but if you have experience with rifles like that and don't mind the recoil I'd say go ahead. If you don't like it you're not out that much money and it's nice to have one in the collection. Just my opinion, which isn't worth a ton. There are a lot of people who love mosins and own multiples.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1323 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I'll take the thankless job of talking you out of it. The Mosin is not an exceptional firearm. It is about military history, re-enactment, and DIY projects. Its practical accuracy is good, but nothing special that a $300 modern hunting rifle won't do. It possesses a heavy kick in spite of its heavy weight. The carbines are especially loud. You will need to double up your hearing protection, or risk an insidious hearing loss over time. That means ear plugs and the muffs, always, which takes some fun out of shooting on a warm day. The trigger pull is gritty. The sights are typically off out of the crate, and may need work. The bore is often dull and dark, although shootable. Some of the Mosins are collectible, others will become, sooner or later. For anything near practical, there are better choices.

If that doesn't convince you... Go get it.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If you don't have one then you obviously need one. If you do have one then you already know the joys so you need another.

-Fun to shoot
-They are really cheap to buy
-Ammo is inexpensive compared to other center fire rifles.
-You can play Enemy at the Gates on DVD while cleaning it.
And most importantly.....

If you don't get one a puppy will die and it will get out that you touch yourself at night while watching reruns of Gilligans Island. And NOT because of Ginger or Mary Anne

I'll be looking forward to the pics of your new rifle...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

vincent Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The excessive recoil is mostly a myth as is the loud report. both are comparable to other 30 calibers. 1 MOA is not to be expected but is rare. They are easy to work on and very reliable and durable. Bore is usually dark but strong. Some have been counter bored due to muzzle wear because of the steel cleaning rod. They are fun and inexpensive to shoot. Most of the milsurp ammo is corrosive and requires hot water flush then normal cleaning soon after shooting. They usually come with accessories. The price you mentioned is a good price, If I found them for under $100 I would buy as many as my wallet would allow, providing they are in half decent condition. You can probably double your investment in a short time. Bore condition is a priority when picking them. If you don't mind me asking; where did you find them at that price. If you do get one and don't like it you can easily find someone that will. Do some research before you decide to get rid of it. Most problems are easily solved. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a case of them if I had the money. Not a good purchase if you don't want to do some cleaning and tweaking. If recoil scares you, go with something in a smaller caliber but I have a Bum shoulder and I can shoot 100 rounds with no adverse effects. Most people think the Mosins have a lot of recoil because someone has told them it does. Wear ear protection and the recoil is negligible. Buy at least one and have a ball!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1346 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 455

My advice is to buy a 91/30 locally even if you have to pay a little more. I went through several cases of rifles before I found one to suit me. Most of the rifles I looked at would function but I wanted a rifle I would be comfortable hunting with. You can find 203 gr SP ammo for hunting around 70 cents a round. The russians rifled the 91/30 to shoot 200 +gr bullets. The light ball ammo is for suppression fire not accuracy.

The 91/30 is designed to be sighted in with the bayonet in place. You can use a heat shrink and a piece of wire to raise the front sight. There is a lot of metal to sand down on the rear sight ramp for fine tuning.

Avoid smith sights. I tried to get a sight from them. He kept saying he would mail a sight tomorrow that never arrived. I ended up filing a dispute with paypal. Paypal gives you 45 days to file a dispute from the day you place the order. I disputed the payment on day 43. After I disputed the payment he sent a nasty email saying don't place another order with him. I am good with that!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Had mine for a few years now. Is a fun gun to shoot. Had to mess witg the front sight alittle but after that hitting coke can at 100yds.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #9

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mosins are one of the best deals in firearms. They may be crude but they work. I paid 140 for mine but got the pick of the litter out of 3 creates. Got at '31 hex receiver. It will shatter clay pigeons at 100 yards all day long. The corrosive ammo isnt an issue if you follow a strict cleaning process.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Payed $69 for mine. Got a scope kit and had to drill and tap the receiver and bolt and mounted a inexpensive Barska scope on it. Off a rest it will shoot MOA (the only one I have seen that will) with Winchester ammo, not surplus. Installed a Timney trigger and put a recoil pad on it after refinishing the stock. Now I have about $200 in a rifle I could easily sell for $150. One positive feature is that it is heavy so if you use it for hunting it will ensure you don't wander too far from camp and if you do take a shot... everyone within a mile or so will know it was you.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer