talk calibers with me - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > talk calibers with me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Some of the reasons for pistol rounds in a carbine or SMG is that the gun can be lighter, simpler to make, less recoil, easier to shoot (doesn't require as much training to be effective at combat ranges) and both it and the user can carry a lot more ammo for the same given amount of weight.
What you give up is accuracy at longer ranges and knock-down power.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #12

Pistol caliber carbines are better for clearing buildings and such where a rifle round would most likely penetrate walls and endanger innocents. They also are plenty accurate for most defensive situations ( under 50 yds ). I doubt that a 5.56 rifle round would be any more effective than a .45 ACP hollow point at house clearing distance, I like the big hole theory.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you are wanting some training. Then go to nra.org and see if there is a NRA certified instructors in your area then go and talk to one or more of them and get some instruction.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #14

We have a local gun club here in PA that offers firearm classes throughout the year. The guys that teach are NRA certified to train the classes and they range from basic handgun, home protection, outside protection, etc.

As said above - see where the instructors are in your area, or find a local gun club, and sign up!

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Derek,
Where abouts in Mass? I live in CT and belong to a gun club that offers all kinds of classes. There are located about 20mins from Springfield Ma.