T/C Encore Rifle Barrels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > T/C Encore Rifle Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrider View Post
I have a prohunter with the 204ruger and 7mm-08 barrels. Both will shoot well under an inch. The 204 will put 5 shots under a dime any day of the week with bergers or blitzkings. Here's a couple pictures of some 204 groups.

Attachment 80964

Attachment 80965
Thats some good shootin, if I could get those results I be happy as a pig in mud. Are those from custom or TC barrels? Is your frame stock or do you have trigger work done and oversize pin?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

Thats some good shootin, if I could get those results I be happy as a pig in mud. Are those from custom or TC barrels? Is your frame stock or do you have trigger work done and oversize pin?
Those are just TC pro-hunter barrels. The only thing that has been touched is the trigger. I ordered a spring kit from mike Bellm. I didn't fool with the oversized pin. The barrel to frame gap can be a pain with some barrels, instead of shimming the breech face out I simply use each barrels chamber as a gage. I use a lee neck sizer die and a redding body die for this. Most people will tell you that you must full length resize for the encore but I found that by doing that I was way overworking my brass. What I do is neck size the brass, load em up and shoot them. Next time I resize I check the sized brass in the chamber. If the barrel doesn't lock up nice and tight I know my brass is beginning to grow and will soon need the shoulder put back with the body die. I don't blame all this on the barrel to breach gap. A break action rifle just isn't as rigid as a bolt action allowing your brass to stretch more. I'm no expert on encores but this is what has worked for me over the last 3 years. I have loaded 204 cases 8 or 9 times with this method and have yet to have any case head failures. Accuracy increased in both barrels as with this method as well.

Last edited by kingrider; 01-22-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #13

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

The shoulder bump thing is something I am not yet familiar with, I haven't done much loading for serious benchrest shooting yet, mostly just full length sized hunting shells but I do want to make up some good shells once I get my Encore barrel, I will need to learn the ropes with this. Currently I only have regular Lee or RCBS 2 die sets for rifle.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012