Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > switching barrels on remington 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default switching barrels on remington 700

does anyone know if you can switch out a regular barrel to a bull barrel on a remmington 700 6mm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Of course you can. You will also need to change out the stock to allow for the thicker barrel profile, or seriously modify the factory stock.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much would something like that cost on average just for the barrel

Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Expect to pay $100-$200 for barrel, depending on specifics. Please do NOT try to swap barrels yourelf- great way to damage/destroy reciever. It takes tools- such as the wrench to do this, the vise and blocks to hold action, maybe a lathe to make a cut on the shoulder, headspace guages, etc. A good smith will have those. Expect to drop $300 or so for parts and labor, more if scope is involved. YMMV depending on prices where you are.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thats less then i expected. i would never attempt to do myself. fun means alot to me it was my grandpaps and he used to shoot short range target with it copetition. is it worth it to change this gun this much or should i just work with what i got and buy another gun with everything i want. the guy i buy guns off of has a marlin .308 with a bull barrel on it for $400. was thinking about buying that but id rather not get to many calibers in the safe.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #6

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

just because some gun has a bull barrel does not necessarily mean it will out shoot a regular barrel. We all know there are some benefits with a bull barrel, I'm just saying don't expect the world. With any gun you don't know how it will shoot until the bullets are down range.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #7

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

bungieex8e8 Your not going to find a heavy barrel in 6mm for 100 to 200 dollars. maybe 243 but still not at that price unless its a take off.. Also as hiwall said it does not mean a bull barrel will be better.

What are you wanting a bull barrel for ,target only? For hunting all you need is one or two shoots on target. If you buddies 308 shoots as you would like one to do buy it for 400 dollars . You would be lucky to change to anything for less and remember yours with still be good to use If you changed to a bull barrel you also have to rework your stock or change it too for the thicker bull barrel.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

the thing i see the most at the range is guys come in with a nice hunting rifle crank off shot after shot after shot with smoke coming off the barrel and a visible heat mirrage then complain the gun isnt accurate.

with any barrel when it heats up groups start opening a LOT. guys will sight in on a very hot barrel then complain its not accurate cuz the clean cold barrel shot is waaaay off.

you prolly wont notice much difference between a bull barrel and a pencil barrel. the barrel is only one small aspect of accuracy. the most important is the shooter pulling the trigger.

from time to time people ask me to try their rifles and i find most factory pencil barreled hunting rifles able to shoot around 1 moa easily with factory ammo. the owner often shoots 2-3 moa same rifle same ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the thing i see the most at the range is guys come in with a nice hunting rifle crank off shot after shot after shot with smoke coming off the barrel and a visible heat mirrage then complain the gun isnt accurate.

with any barrel when it heats up groups start opening a LOT. guys will sight in on a very hot barrel then complain its not accurate cuz the clean cold barrel shot is waaaay off.

you prolly wont notice much difference between a bull barrel and a pencil barrel. the barrel is only one small aspect of accuracy. the most important is the shooter pulling the trigger.

from time to time people ask me to try their rifles and i find most factory pencil barreled hunting rifles able to shoot around 1 moa easily with factory ammo. the owner often shoots 2-3 moa same rifle same ammo.
That's well stated. I would agree because I have recently learned a lot more about shooting thanks to this sight and some other knowledgable sources. The other day I went and shot my old 270 and shot it better than I ever have. I think that the bull barrels and fluted barrels are advantagous, but only if you know how to shoot properly in the first place, if that makes any sense. I finally feel that with the combination of shooting form and a little better rifle, I can make a big step. I only hunt, I don't shoot targets. But I want a gun that is accurate as possible, I don't care about weight. I just think that this post was put properly that it generally isn't "the gun" missing the shots, it's more frequently the guy behind the gun.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok thanx that helps alot. ill be using it for whatever. im going to sight it in at 600 yards.