Survival/Defense...if only one rifle? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Survival/Defense...if only one rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

[QUOTE=

A 12ga can handle everything from the dove to the black bear. Plus it is truly king of the living room when it comes to short range HD applications. Slugs allow accurate hits out to 100yds.[/QUOTE]

i would agree, if i were to only have one gun for SHTF situation it would be a shotgun not only for its flexibility but for its simple design, not a whole bunch of intricate machinery and easy to fix. also lots of ammo for it out there

Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #42

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Decision made...thanks all!

I have definitely decided on the Ruger Mini-14 Range Rifle in .223 and I'll tell you my thought process.

Why .223?
I want something I can hunt small and large animals with. .223 is better for varmints and larger calibers would be better for larger game. As another poster rightly indicated, in a SHTF situation, large game would go quick. On the Lewis and Clark expedition, even with just 50 guys hunting and eating, they routinely hunted through all of the animal population in certain areas as they headed west. Only a massive die-off scenario (like a viral attack or something) would truly allow for big-game hunting in the long term. That being said, I have decided to stock up on rifled slugs for my 12 gauge for big game hunting, should I have that opportunity or that need. So I finally decided that a larger caliber wasn't quite necessary for this need. And .223 will definitely do yeoman's work on zombies, if necessary. I considered .308 and 7.62x39, but both seemed like they would fail my requirement as a good small-game hunter. I discounted .22lr because it has almost no ability to help against zombie hordes, should they come.

Why Ranch Rifle?
I can get a new one around $700 and spend $100 on varmint loads and $200 on stuff a little more appropriate for bigger walking creatures. Then I'll save up for good glass.

Stock?
I haven't decided yet on wood, synthetic, or the tactical stock. Maybe the deal I find will make that decision for me.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Hopefully the thoughts on this thread will help someone go through the same thought process and maybe come up with a different answer based on their local situation and current needs.

Oh man, I'm still hoping for a good excuse in the future to get a Colt AR-15, a Savage .308 bolt-action, and a Ruger .22lr semi-auto...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #43

Ok I guess im going to be the first to vote for this. For a SHTF rifle, I would say an AK-47. Here are my reasons.

1) They are cheap, I picked mine up for 480. I have seen them as cheap as 370 used.
2) They are extremely reliable, in a SHTF scenario you may not be able to take great care of the firearm and it will most likely be exposed to more weather conditions and dirt/mud, so you want it to be a reliable platform.
3) Ammo is cheap.
4) Ammo is EVERYWHERE. Very easy to find in a SHTF scenario.
5) Accurate enough to hit a person in the chest up to 100 yards.
6) Much bigger bullet than a .223 = more hit/stopping power. Those pesky zombies are tough.
7) Bullet does not "tumble" as a .223 or a 5.56 will so it will not tear up the meat as much for hunting.
8) It has an attachable bayonette which also comes off and is a knife at the same time.

Nut up or Shut up!

Last edited by User Name; 04-12-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #44

Just wanted to throw this out there. Machines and tools break. Firearms are in both categories. In the real SHTF scenario, AR parts are going to be everywhere. AK parts will be around, Mini-14, not so much. Ruger 10-22, parts will be everywhere, Remington 870, everywhere, fancy euro trap gun, no parts. The point is that a broken firearm is worthless, and stocking every part is not possible with a limited budget. I'd rather have a gun I can keep working as long is it is needed. Falls inline with the ammo issue. What will be available. Of course, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 9mm, perhaps 12ga. It will be nearly impossible to plan for every scenario, but common sense will get you a long way.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #45

(srry dont get mad at me mini 14 fanboyz)

thats probally the worst choice, my dad sold me his ruger ranch rifle after buying it and HATING it. I thought "oh boy this is cool it looks like an M1 carbine yay" and i found out their accuracy SUCKS even after spending a pretty penny on accurizing it it was still mediocre on a good day. If your gunna buy it you might aswell accurize it as much as you can and replacing a bunch of stuff will cost you even more money so if you plan on buying it because a buddy from work swears by it and you can get it for cheap im sorry your wasting your money. dont make the mistake i made and pay real money for this gun.

Last edited by Leavingplatoscomphycave; 04-12-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #46

and your weapon would be a carbine? you cant "reach out and touch someone" with a .223

a steyr scout (308) and a kimber 1911 would be the optimal set up for STHF IMHO

Old 04-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there. Machines and tools break. Firearms are in both categories. In the real SHTF scenario, AR parts are going to be everywhere. AK parts will be around, Mini-14, not so much. Ruger 10-22, parts will be everywhere, Remington 870, everywhere, fancy euro trap gun, no parts. The point is that a broken firearm is worthless, and stocking every part is not possible with a limited budget. I'd rather have a gun I can keep working as long is it is needed. Falls inline with the ammo issue. What will be available. Of course, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 9mm, perhaps 12ga. It will be nearly impossible to plan for every scenario, but common sense will get you a long way.
Problem with this gunsmithing issue is that I can fix, build, repair anything around the house, but I would have NO idea how to repair a firearm. At this point, availability of parts is NOT part of my calculus. Though it is definitely something to consider.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post

a steyr scout (308) and a kimber 1911 would be the optimal set up for STHF IMHO
Steyr scout $1800--Way out of the range of this poster's capabilities right now.

The handgun issue is a different one for me. .45 acp is absolutely one of the best ways to go for a sidearm. This thread is about a single rifle, if only one rifle is available.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #49

^ how much you lookin to spend?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #50

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Chris...I used the same logic as you when I bought my Ruger Mini-14. Now, I wish I had the AR-15.

Had I done that then, I wouldn't be thinking of an AR build now! I put the completed price around $800 right now....Just sayin'

People get the government they deserve.