Surprise rifle for me!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Surprise rifle for me!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To make an essay worth of a post a lot shorter then it normally would be:

I came home to a (sadly) sporterized M1917 Enfield chambered for 30-06. This is actually a really cool thing since I've actually been thinking about getting a new rifle for a while to slowly work my way into the world of long rage target shooting.

I never told anyone that I was planning on doing so, so I was rather surprised. It turns out my dad is going to be selling his 1940s thing with four wheeles. I don't remember the make/model of the car, but his buddy said he would give him this rifle as a down payment on the car. In all honesty, I'm surprised my dad went with it. He doesn't shoot really ever, nor does he like shooting the larger caliber rifles.

It turns out my dad is giving this rifle to me for the cost of exactly $0.00. It works out perfectly. My only issue is that the guy who gave the rifle to us said that some cases seem to stick when ejecting and the bolt needs to be cycled again.....I cycled a round with no issues though, so I'm hoping once I give it a cleaning it'll work it's self out.

(camera is deader then a door knob, so waiting for it to charge, I'll have picture up by tomorrow......just trust me for now, it happened. Haha)

Last edited by kaido; 08-11-2013 at 05:09 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Alright, so I let my camera charge and took the pictures. On thing I'm not a big fan of right now is the stock. I don't remember what he said he put on it, but just no. The look is nice but the feel of the stock isn't for me. It's also chipping in some spots too so more reason to refinish it.

I'm also not sure of the rear scope base since its literally only held in by one screw. Out of curiosity, would it be worth it to just finish the job and get the last screw drilled/tapped or better to find the original sights?

image-849822126.jpg   image-3750356689.jpg   image-2929157782.jpg   image-2590291984.jpg   image-4138663846.jpg  

image-938685338.jpg  

Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Soo....I'm really wishing I had the iron sights on this rifle right about now. I emailed one of the few gunsmiths I could find in my area, will with in a three hour radius, and was told he charges $150.00 to drill and tap, regardless of the number of holes. No I'm not real sure if I want to do that or attempt it myself.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He is ripping you off if he said $150 to drill the holes. Look around some more, it is a solid rifle and you should enjoy shooting it.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Interesting rifle. Enjoy!

Hope you can find a more reasonable gunsmith, too.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcrimedog
He is ripping you off if he said $150 to drill the holes. Look around some more, it is a solid rifle and you should enjoy shooting it.
I was thinking that was a little steep for a single hole. The other stores I can think of are closed right now so I, going to give them a call tomorrow and see how that goes. I've never really had any work done on a rifle required a smith to do.

If things go as I'm hopping, I'll be happy with two inches at 100 yards. Smaller would be better, but can't always get what you want.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The 1917 Enfields had a metallurgy problem. I would first of all have the receiver "Black Lighted" for cracks. Oil field pipe companies can do this for you. These rifles very often show signs of metal fatigue.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
The 1917 Enfields had a metallurgy problem. I would first of all have the receiver "Black Lighted" for cracks. Oil field pipe companies can do this for you. These rifles very often show signs of metal fatigue.
You're just jealous, that's why you've gotta burst my bubble, isn't it? Haha

Luckily I happen to live in the best place for that. My town is basically made up of oilfield companies. I might just give one or two a call tomorrow and see if they'd be willing to do this and if so, what they'd charge.....or if they wunna show one of the new guys how to do it.....

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good news!! I found some one who's willing to do the drilling/tapping for less then half the price and he's also an hour and a half closer, basically right next to the gun shop I always go to as well.