Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Surgeon 581 XL repeater question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/surgeon-581-xl-repeater-question-32750/)

Ripper 10-07-2010 01:56 AM

Surgeon 581 XL repeater question

I'm having a .338 Norma Magnum built and am wondering if having a 3 position safety shroud would even be possible or logical. I have very limmited experience with custom build's but heard that it's a better design.

With that said can a 3 position safety be added and using the Surgeon and would anyone advise me against this idea.

Thanks a lot,
Rip

Dillinger 10-07-2010 02:03 AM

First off, excellent action. GRINNING

Yes, you can have a 3 position safety installed and there are advantages to having it done. Not the least of which is being able to cycle the action with the safety on, and an easy way to field strip the bolt.

I did not have it done on mine, but now that it is done I have been considering it as an "upgrade".

Tell us some more about your build. Barrel? Stock? Optics? Who is doing it? Purpose?

JD

Ripper 10-07-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 364282)
First off, excellent action. GRINNING

Yes, you can have a 3 position safety installed and there are advantages to having it done. Not the least of which is being able to cycle the action with the safety on, and an easy way to field strip the bolt.

I did not have it done on mine, but now that it is done I have been considering it as an "upgrade".

Tell us some more about your build. Barrel? Stock? Optics? Who is doing it? Purpose?

JD

Hi Dillinger,

Brux #17
Manner's T4A
PR - Heritage 5-25x56 XR
Surgeon 581 XL repeater
Badger break
Builder is RW & Snyder Guns and Gunsmithing
Purpose - Hobby and hunting

I'm in the same boat you were in starting out. I didn't know what I wanted and to be honest, I'm still not certain of what I want. I went off of word of mouth and decided on this build. Quite a few well respected competitor's and gunsmith's speek highly on this rifle so I decided on it. My biggest weakness is not being set up to reload so it's going to be costly starting out. With that being said I still have to find some ammunition and learn how to reload and resarch which brass and powder is going to provide me the most consistancy. I have heard good about 300 Gn match but I've also heard great result's were comming from the 250 Gn match.

Since I can have a 3 position installed, would you recommend it on a Surgeon action? And can you list someone you recommend for the install.

Thanks again,
Rip

Ripper 10-08-2010 12:46 AM

For those interested that didn't already know, PT&G gave me a rerral on adding a 3 position safety shroud for the Surgeon action. They said they can add it on the big 581 and 591. The company is High Tech Customs - Precision Built Custom Rifles.

Just thought I would post it for those that may be interested in the future.

Take care,
Rip