SureFire Muzzle Brake - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SureFire Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry for your trouble Jon, but wanted to say that the SF brake looks good...square, tight, neat and tidy.

I always seem to fight with the timing of muzzle devices and shims, crush washers, threads, etc.

I guess either I'm too fussy or should just buy a handful of A1 style birdcages for everything...no timing required! Snug & Go!

Good luck with the repair.

Be Well.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Shimming can be a pain. I dont do a lot of it but i found the best way is to time it so its not QUITE bdc or tdc as you prefer and then torque to get it to tdc/bdc. Set the torque wrench to 27lbs which gives you 3 lbs of leeway. Over 30 and you start crushing the barrel.

Also use rocksett not loctite for barrel attachments. Rocksett is a little weaker than blue loctite but it holds up very well under heat that turns loctite to liquid.

I learned with this install to measure my shims, dont take the manufacturer's word on how thick they are. Thats what i think throws a lot of folks off.

Another trick i use is to put the muzzle device on without shimming then just stick the shims in between. Be careful not to bend the shim by cranking on the device. This should get you damn close.

When i put it all back together ill do a write up on how i time the brake.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

just got a email from midway that my replacement bolt is out for shipment. hopefully have this thing fixed soon.

also got word that my tax stamp for the suppressor for the rifle should be in, in 2-3 weeks

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2406 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Jon; Try setting the trigger pull up just a bit. I know it sounds weird but I was having some problems with a 10PC and setting the trigger pull up a bit helped.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Jon; Try setting the trigger pull up just a bit. I know it sounds weird but I was having some problems with a 10PC and setting the trigger pull up a bit helped.
i did that. high low inbetween had no effect.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

new bolt showed up today. finally got everything together and torqued down closes on go gage but not on nogo. tried putting it in the stock and the recoil lug wasnt straight *sigh* had to redo. after 2 hours of making one mistake after another and not discovering it until everything was done i finally got it in working order.

fired 30 primers in empty cases no problems nice deep primer strikes.

now to get the muzzle brake on and remount the scope.

the new bolt is much higher quality than the one the gun came with. i cant believe the difference. you would think a gun over 900$ would have a higher quality fit finish bolt. *sigh*

ill take some pics after i get all the accessories back on it.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

after wacking some idiots on mw3 on the xbox to vent my frustrations getting the rifle back together i put the scope back on got everything torqued down and rocksetted.

the silver jeweled bolt is the new one. big diff in quality with the one the gun came with and just plain didnt work right out of the box. i did swap over the oversize bolt handle from the original bolt.

muzzle brake on the end ready for the suppressor

niteforce scope to top it off