SureFire Muzzle Brake - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > SureFire Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like that Jon.

I'd like to do something similar w/ a 700 and the .300BLK but word on the street says 6 months on stamps.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Could there be something wrong with the tempering of the firing pin or the bolt itself? Thus resulting in deformation of the part and the firing pin sticking slightly as the spring obviously isn't the problem.
everything moves freely in the bolt body. from reading other problems its possible a headspace issue. i dont have go-nogo gauges for 308 to check. the only thing i can figure is it has a little too much headspace and the firingpin is pushing the cartridge a scootch forward.

the cases head space correct in my 308 case gauge. the rifle is chambered for 308. ive got a le wilson gage. so its correct

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-05-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
everything moves freely in the bolt body. from reading other problems its possible a headspace issue. i dont have go-nogo gauges for 308 to check. the only thing i can figure is it has a little too much headspace and the firingpin is pushing the cartridge a scootch forward.

the cases head space correct in my 308 case gauge. the rifle is chambered for 308. ive got a le wilson gage. so its correct
Ok, doesn't sound like an easy home repair. Could this possibly be fixed by machining just a tiny bit from the chamber end of the barrel to correct the head space? Hope Savage can fix it for you.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its an easy fix. savage model 10's are headspaced by screwing the barrel in and out then locking in place with a lock nut. im going to take it to gander mountain in kenosha i think they are an authorized savage repair. ill call em tomorrow to see if their smith has the proper tools. they have done stuff for me in the past i dont have the tools for. the wrench and action vise to do the job cost nearly a 1/4 of what i paid for the rifle. somwhere round 350$

cheaper to find a smith that can do it since im not going to be changing barrels a lot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Good to hear it's nothing major.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Jon,If you need them,I'll let you use my Action vise and barrel nut wrench.
I could ship them Priority Mail with USPS,and it wouldn't cost much.

The tools don't cost that much too buy,I think I paid about 80 for the Action Vice, and 25 for the wrench.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Jon,If you need them,I'll let you use my Action vise and barrel nut wrench.
I could ship them Priority Mail with USPS,and it wouldn't cost much.

The tools don't cost that much too buy,I think I paid about 80 for the Action Vice, and 25 for the wrench.
where did ya get em?? brownells lists them for 180 and 50.

for that price ill buy a set.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
where did ya get em?? brownells lists them for 180 and 50.

for that price ill buy a set.
Midway USA-

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110

Looks like they are out of the action wrench,but I'm sure you could find one somewhere else close to that price.

FYI-Jon,If you buy these and DIY,you'll need to loosen the action vise screws after you break the barrel nut loose.
You won't be able to turn the barrel if you don't!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Midway USA-

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110

Looks like they are out of the action wrench,but I'm sure you could find one somewhere else close to that price.

FYI-Jon,If you buy these and DIY,you'll need to loosen the action vise screws after you break the barrel nut loose.
You won't be able to turn the barrel if you don't!
thanks!!

im going to go that route if i cant find some help locally.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Just got off the phone with savage. The tech was convinced i wasnt pulling the trigger properly causing the trigger safety to not be pressed. She couldnt get past that and totally disregarded the fact the sear was releasing the striker and hitting the primer too soft.

I did not get a good vibe from savage cs

Anyway i think im going to go the diy route and remove the barrel and re-headspace it.

First thing will just be ordering a set of go nogo gages. Confirm its either a headspace issue or not and go from there.

What cranks me off is i JUST put that damn brake on now im going to have to likely order new shims from surefire since the ones i have are covered in rocksett. *sigh*