Suggestions on a trainer for a 6 year old? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Suggestions on a trainer for a 6 year old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
6 year old boy? I'm thinkin' cap gun and GI Joes...
We'll be doing this together, He's not old enough mentally to be let loose with an air rifle but he watches me shoot and he's just dying to call something his, he was fully ready to step up and shoot a 22 a couple of weekends ago and he did it with confidence and without one shred of fear, almost too confident.

This weekend while we were going fishing, I took my side arm out and set it on the truck gate and pulled my hat off and set it on top of it. I turned around briefly and when I spun back around he was lifting my hat off trying to get a look, So I had to reiterate that he CANNOT touch the weapons without me or his uncles around, so then I safety checked the firearm and let him hold it and show me how to unload it while I asked him questions about basic operation, I almost started to cry when he pointed it in a safe direction and popped the cylinder and looked into it like a jeweler looking at a diamond, I need to get something for him to shoot because I can tell it's killing him and I need to quell that interest before he tries to sneak off......before anyone asks, everything is locked up tight when I'm not around.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #12

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

My son started with a small lever action. It was like a red ryder but smaller. He wasnt much older than that when he moved up to a Marlin single shot 22. He was shooting semi-auto by the time he was 9 or so. He is safer than most adults I know.

Glad to hear you are starting him early. Just remember to teach basic safety. It will really pay off later. When we go to the range my son is about the only one there I am not worried about. He is 13. He can give me a run for my money too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #13

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus

We'll be doing this together, He's not old enough mentally to be let loose with an air rifle but he watches me shoot and he's just dying to call something his, he was fully ready to step up and shoot a 22 a couple of weekends ago and he did it with confidence and without one shred of fear, almost too confident.

This weekend while we were going fishing, I took my side arm out and set it on the truck gate and pulled my hat off and set it on top of it. I turned around briefly and when I spun back around he was lifting my hat off trying to get a look, So I had to reiterate that he CANNOT touch the weapons without me or his uncles around, so then I safety checked the firearm and let him hold it and show me how to unload it while I asked him questions about basic operation, I almost started to cry when he pointed it in a safe direction and popped the cylinder and looked into it like a jeweler looking at a diamond, I need to get something for him to shoot because I can tell it's killing him and I need to quell that interest before he tries to sneak off......before anyone asks, everything is locked up tight when I'm not around.
Sounds like you got it all straight and a good start made.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what about starting him out with one of those Chipmunk model single shot 22's? i don't see anything wrong with starting with an air rifle and a single shot 22.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #15

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
what about starting him out with one of those Chipmunk model single shot 22's? i don't see anything wrong with starting with an air rifle and a single shot 22.
I would if it didn't mean we have to travel to a range or shooting area every day till the nostalgia wears off, little man would obsess over it for a while. If we could shoot cans in the back yard for awhile, I'm sure his fancy would be tickled pink.
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #16

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What about an air soft. Some of them pack a pretty good punch on paper targets at a fair distance. Get a gas model and they are accurate replicas of the real thing right down to safeties and mag releases. They even cycle like real guns but they're a bit safer than bullets or bb's.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I practice point shooting in my back yard with an airsoft gun, and they are great. Relativly safe for a kid, the good ones have the weight and feel of a real firearm.

I would get a gas operated one for a kid to mak it harder to use un supervised.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #18

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
what about starting him out with one of those Chipmunk model single shot 22's?
Him? How about me!? Get in line buddy. I ordered one in .22 Mag for myself a coupla months ago -- they can't be had.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Him? How about me!? Get in line buddy. I ordered one in .22 Mag for myself a coupla months ago -- they can't be had.
wouldn't know anything about other areas as far as availability. my dealer has a few of them on his shelves.