Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Submitted to the Military for Testing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/submitted-military-testing-5333/)

Dillinger 07-02-2008 10:50 PM

Submitted to the Military for Testing

Okay folks, so as promised, here is the website of one of the CONFIRMED rifles that has been submitted to the military for evaluation for the .338 Lapua Sniper Replacement Platform ( I don't know what the official Military designation is, but you get the point ).

McRees Precision is submitting their very cool modular stock system, along with a custom made .338 Lapua on a Surgeon Custom Action.

Now, if you are not familiar with either, that's okay, they are both kind of small in the market place that is SWAMPED with contenders. What you need to know is that both these companies take accuracy VERY seriously.

We got a Surgeon Action in the shop for a build on a custom Sniper Stick that was going to a shooter in North East, North Carolina. Had a "job" from a company in those parts, I can't remember the name though. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Surgeon Action is a Remington 700 styled action that is very solid. It's a very nice piece of kit that comes all blueprinted and ready to build. I considered buying one myself for Mjolnir, my 7mm Mag project, but ended up with the Lawton instead.

McRees has brought something really cool to the table with their stock system. It's modular in three parts, so you no longer have to configure just ONE type of rifle. The stock is all aluminum, and the center part, where the action is bedded, stays the same, but you can change the foreends and the buttstocks to a couple of different variants, which is pretty cool in my opinion. Need a Benchrest Style System? Click, Click. Need a Tactical Field Gun? Click. Click. Very cool stuff.

In any event, this is one of the platforms that has been submitted for review by the folks willing to stroke the big checks. Thought you blokes might like to know what is being offered up for our boys in the Big SandBox....

JD

cpttango30 07-03-2008 03:37 AM

Huh keep us up to date on this I would like to see which one wins out. I am sure that the boys in the field would like either one as I think both have a lot of good to offer.

Dillinger 07-03-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Huh keep us up to date on this I would like to see which one wins out. I am sure that the boys in the field would like either one as I think both have a lot of good to offer.
Will do - I will continue to pass along as much good intel as comes through the shop.

We do get lucky in that we have some folks who like to "show off" some new stuff before it hits the market, so anything I can get my hands on and play with, I usually do.

This new rifle platform is a real departure from what the basic service rifle has been since it's inception. With this modular platform you can tailor to mission specific needs.

That said, I can't see the military going $5K plus per unit on Sniper Rifles. I can see them spending $2500, but double that per piece is stretching the limit. This submission is one hell of a good match though, that Surgeon Action is T*TS in my book and would be great for the HOGs out there. :D

I personally think Remington still has the inside track, but we will see what happens.

More to follow as it becomes available...

JD