Sub 2000 .40 round - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sub 2000 .40 round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Ok I am one that said go for it. But 7" groups?? I was thinking it could not possibly group worse than 3" at 50 yards. If you can't mount a red dot to use to shirk groups leave it at home better yet sell it and buy good handgun to hunt with. My revolvers I hunt with , 357 or 44 DW with red dot groups half that size at 100yards from a rest. I always loved a challenge too but first off a firearm has to be accurate enough for a quality shot. That KT is not. Using it only to 25 yards !! That's open sight handgun range or short bow range. Trade for a good used compound bow if you don't have one. Easy to learn and a darn site more accurate at 50 yards. It is bow season in many states.
And mounting a red dot will wait considering its like 150 for the rail mount

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #32

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey your the hunter wanting to use a very inaccurate rifle. If its your shooting that's bad then use optics. If its the gun ?? Don't use it. Simple enough. Don't come on a forum and express how badly a firearm shoots and talk about hunting and not expect some not so nice feed back. Or don't ask to begin with if it shoots like junk. Common sense could have answered all your questions. Then after the hunt you could show how well you did and what you used.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #33

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
I have an 7 inch group with the sub 2000 at 50 yards with the open sights. That's with target loads. Picking up some hotter loads to test. I don't feel very comfortable with a 7 inch group but I have salt lick out at 25 yards which I can keep a very tight group at. I have tons of wt on the trail camera at the distance. Hopefully they will keep at this distance. Unless I get my groups tighter for a clean kill, I will not take a shout outside of 40. Doubt I would have to anyways. But I want some ballistic test with the 2k.
I have the 9mm version and I read that it can give a knockdown punch that rivals a .357 magnum but the 40-cal version of the Sub2K can send a 180-gr projectile downrange at over 1,200 fps. That gives the 40-cal Sub2K a lot more knockdown punch than the 9mm version, approaching .41-magnum ballistics. Here are the ballistics for a .41 magnum. Hope it helps a little.

Keep calm, carry on

Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #34

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

. m605 better take a look a oh ballistics by the inch or some of the smaller ammo companies loads before say'n a anemic 9mm can play with a 357 from a handgun. Id easy to buy or load 170gr 357 that push a bullet from a 7 1/2" revolver at 1450fps + Not a light weight bullet of the (MM and a 41 mag , wow quality ammo will push a 210gr at 1500fps from a 7 1/2" revolver Forget handloads that are capable of 1800fps with a 180gr bullet in a revolver. And still those 7 groups out of that KT carbine. Other than rem and win data on your reference page look at the bullet weights and velocities and that's from a 6.5" barrel. Add only an inch and some gain another 75fps. And some are not even correct in that chart you supplied

Even with the few choice offered check out the chart below.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/41mag.html

Old 09-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Hey your the hunter wanting to use a very inaccurate rifle. If its your shooting that's bad then use optics. If its the gun ?? Don't use it. Simple enough. Don't come on a forum and express how badly a firearm shoots and talk about hunting and not expect some not so nice feed back. Or don't ask to begin with if it shoots like junk. Common sense could have answered all your questions. Then after the hunt you could show how well you did and what you used.
Think it was my shooting. Got two inch groups at 50 today. I am very pleased with this. Never said it shot like junk. I came to the forum to ask questions. Common sense could not answered my questions. Obviously someone is lacking in that area.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #36

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

For my two cents, which means more to me than it will you, the .40 produces just south of 500 foot pounds at the muzzle averaging info from a number of defensive loading specs. I agree that the longer bullet is going to increase the potency of the round through accelerated velocity. Let's say for the sake of arguement that with the longer barrel you will see closer to 550 foot pounds of energy with good loads. Thats still only a third of the energy carried by a 7.62x39mm round and closer to a quarter of the energy carried by a .243 Winchester round. Even at short distances you are throwing a projectile that will be challenged to penetrate the bone necessary to puncture the important organs for a humane kill. If you fail to select quality warm to hot loads you will see a significant degredation of effect from that. I too think the Sub2k is a sweet weapon but I would never haul it into the woods for a hunt. Even at 25-30 yards I would be concerned about whether or not I would be providing the animal with a humane passing or if it would be left with my bullet somewhere inside while it died slowly and suffered. I am curious, what states allow the use of a .22lr for deer hunting? I know most states have a minimum outlining of centerfire cartridges which would eliminate .22 all together.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #37

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
. m605 better take a look a oh ballistics by the inch or some of the smaller ammo companies loads before say'n a anemic 9mm can play with a 357 from a handgun. Id easy to buy or load 170gr 357 that push a bullet from a 7 1/2" revolver at 1450fps + Not a light weight bullet of the (MM and a 41 mag , wow quality ammo will push a 210gr at 1500fps from a 7 1/2" revolver Forget handloads that are capable of 1800fps with a 180gr bullet in a revolver. And still those 7 groups out of that KT carbine. Other than rem and win data on your reference page look at the bullet weights and velocities and that's from a 6.5" barrel. Add only an inch and some gain another 75fps. And some are not even correct in that chart you supplied

Even with the few choice offered check out the chart below.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/41mag.html
The reference was just something I remember reading and shared. Thanks for the response.

Keep calm, carry on

Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
For my two cents, which means more to me than it will you, the .40 produces just south of 500 foot pounds at the muzzle averaging info from a number of defensive loading specs. I agree that the longer bullet is going to increase the potency of the round through accelerated velocity. Let's say for the sake of arguement that with the longer barrel you will see closer to 550 foot pounds of energy with good loads. Thats still only a third of the energy carried by a 7.62x39mm round and closer to a quarter of the energy carried by a .243 Winchester round. Even at short distances you are throwing a projectile that will be challenged to penetrate the bone necessary to puncture the important organs for a humane kill. If you fail to select quality warm to hot loads you will see a significant degredation of effect from that. I too think the Sub2k is a sweet weapon but I would never haul it into the woods for a hunt. Even at 25-30 yards I would be concerned about whether or not I would be providing the animal with a humane passing or if it would be left with my bullet somewhere inside while it died slowly and suffered. I am curious, what states allow the use of a .22lr for deer hunting? I know most states have a minimum outlining of centerfire cartridges which would eliminate .22 all together.
On private land in sc there is no laws for hunting with any cartridge. I've personally seen a .22 go through a deer skull at 30 yards. The deer had been shot the day before just took the head off and did a test. I would never stoop that low to take a 22 out. But some do it!