Sub 2000 .40 round - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sub 2000 .40 round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 306 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I don't know if you can find JSP ammo for a 40 cal but it is best for light skinned animals like deer. Hollow points are a disaster for hunting. You want something that is going to create an exit wound so the animal bleeds out quickly. When you are hunting you are not trying to stop the deer from attacking you. You are trying to kill the deer as quickly and humanely as possible.

I am not worried about you injuring a deer. From the questions you are asking you will have to find a blind and deaf deer to get a shot on it. But then again even a blind squirrel will find a nut.
The Hornady XTP is a controlled expansion JHP

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2967 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
I didn't ask you about a different caliber.
Same caliber:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber
Quote:
In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires.
Different cartridge.
In all seriousness, if you reload (or know someone who does), I'd suggest a near max load with a slowish powder with a 165 +/- gr cast FP.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

FMJs are in many states illegal to hunt game with. And my states requires a minimum 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, how much energy does this gun produce? Any ideas?

A heavier grained softpont would probably be the best bullet to use,

Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

The .40 will work but I don't know why you would want to try it. That said a buddy of mine woke up from a nap under a tree and Glocked a nice buck with his .40.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Why? seriously, theres a gob of proven calibers out there, so whats your thinking on this? Dont take this the wrong way, im not judging, Im just curious as to the motivation.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #16

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTire
Why? seriously, theres a gob of proven calibers out there, so whats your thinking on this? Dont take this the wrong way, im not judging, Im just curious as to the motivation.
Just would like to try my sub 2000 with open sights. The velocity is much different coming out of a barrel like that vs. a pistol and much more accurate. I know that within the range I'm shooting I could hit a kill shot every time. On my trail cam I had pics of the two bucks already within 20 yards of the blind. Not exactly sure on the ft/lbs that was asked though I'm not sure if its 500 which I don't think it is but probably close.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2935 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Heed John_Deere's advice, use a FMJ or some type of round other than JHP, so that you create an exit wound, your blood trail will be much more evident and besides dispatching the animal as quickly as possible, your other motive should be to recover your downed game. Don't take anything but a double-lung broadside shot and be patient after the shot. Allow your deer to bleed into it's lungs for 30 minutes minimum. If you come upon the deer after that time period and it is still not dead, do not push it anymore, mark your location and come back several hours later.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #18

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
Heed John_Deere's advice, use a FMJ or some type of round other than JHP, so that you create an exit wound, your blood trail will be much more evident and besides dispatching the animal as quickly as possible, your other motive should be to recover your downed game. Don't take anything but a double-lung broadside shot and be patient after the shot. Allow your deer to bleed into it's lungs for 30 minutes minimum. If you come upon the deer after that time period and it is still not dead, do not push it anymore, mark your location and come back several hours later.
Why let it suffer? I'd say put it out of its misery

Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #19

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

cblowe13 Underwood loads some rather warm loads with speer bonded unicorn hp's . Its there bonded gd or they also have hornady's xtp bullet. I can tell you the 155gr version will kove along at 1300=2fps from a 4" barrel. All you can do is crony them from KT and see what you get. You may see 15 to 1600fps is possible they would work for your close range shot . IF the rifle and you have the accuracy in the field need for a heart shot. It is up to you to find out if a hot load will hurt your rifle. Don't use any FMJ ammo on game or you could be tracking it for hours. Do not hunt with regular runoff the mill 40sw ammo unless a deer walks right be you.

Guys kill deer with a 158gr 357 from handguns including me. But I know use a 44 mag. They do work and this cartridge and make will perform will but you do need to only fire what you would be very comfortable with bow hunting. Got to make a that same shot just understand that a deer arrow may spin around and look or run a short ways and bleed out . Don't expect that from any ammo. See deer haul butt.

Read the warning page at BB and check your rifle and talk to KT about the use of these supposed +P cartidges as they loaded to a saami max pressure. You do need a full chamber to support the case. I would not use the average standard pressure 40sw ammo.

Ether the 155 or 165 in ether make will work fine as both work well in hotter 10mm loads. It more about checking there site and buy'n some when in stock or from buffalo bore.
http://www.underwoodammo.com/40sandw.aspx

OR

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=115

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the solid round rather than a hollow point as there are too many bones in the way, plus you do want a nice bleed out. I don't see any problem with you hitting him/her and putting it down. I have a Sub 2K in 9mil and it's darn accurate, not to mention that the round has more stability coming out of that longer barrel. I like mine for home defense as well as target and varmints. Enjoy and good luck.

Dave