Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Styer SSG 08 and DTA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Styer SSG 08 and DTA

Hello all,

Had to try some new sticks and did not have the patience to wait for a custom build so, I decided to try some commercial guns. Not looking for any specific application just fun guns to shoot. I picked up a DTA SRS Covert in 338LP with a 243 switch and a new Styer SSG 08 Elite. Spent last weekend shooting the Steyr and I am impressed! This will hold with some of my customs and is just awesome to shoot. Only being a 308 it's not the best Long Range,but the rifle is just fun to shoot. The 338 DTA,only has a 16" barrel and I would be lying if I said it was THEE long range gun, it not but when you torch one of the rounds off at sundown, you will be amazed and saddened at the powder still burning out of the barrel, it's a fire breathing beast. The 243 has not been shot yet as all I have at the moment are 243AI dies but will report back when I do. Anyone have some good lads for 7.5 twist 243? Lol

More to come,
CK

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Pictures.....

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #3

DTA SRS Covert, 338 and 243

Name:  image-2116403210.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  31.5 KB

Haggard pics taken with IPad ill get some better ones.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterken
DTA SRS Covert, 338 and 243

Haggard pics taken with IPad ill get some better ones.
Jealousy! Nice rifles! Especially the DTA

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Wow that DTA is a sweet looking rifle. You're a lucky man.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Ok here are some more shots I took last night. Few with the different barrels on the DTA and some ritzy shots of the Styer. Did get a chance to shoot a box of 338 through the DTA and I have to say, this is one of the funnest guns to pull the trigger on. Sad to waste so much of the potential of the 338 with such a short barrel but I would call the gun a fire breathing dragon lol. 1K is very do able with a 16" 338 on Minute of plate scenarios. I am using CNC turned 250s and was consistently punching a 2 MOA plate at 1K. It will be very interesting to see what she does with the can, coming in NOV....

Enjoy and I might be doing a switch barrel video to show how stupidly easy it is to go caliber to caliber, if yous guys want to see one????

CK out

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #7

Quick update gents,

So as you can imagine, 338LM is hard to come by. Had a line, fell through but with a backup who fell through you know the drill. My dies should be coming in for both before long and I will post up when I get some more controlled situation rounds down range.

Gonna drive the Styer tomorrow might see if I can get some shots in.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

Alright,

It was a great weekend shooting. We were shooting at an altitude of 5K with a constant .25 5-9 MPH wind. Sunny and just an awesome day for pushing pills.

Started off with the first gun shown. A custom 308 built a few years ago by a gent from the east coast. Awesome gun and a proven shooter holding sub MOA to 600 Yard and better on lucky days lol. This gun being a proven shooter, I wanted to drive a little on the ridge line at our target marked from 400 out to 2500. Most of the Targets we are shooting are primarily MOA sized to distance with some rocks and other targets of opportunity.

I validated my dope for the custom gun out to 1K and then started off on the Styer. Had to Zero this rifle as i just mounted a new scope on it, a Kahles K624i with the Mil six. Zeroing was incredibly easy with no initial wind adjustment. Great tolerances on the weapon and mounts allowed me to zero with minimal optic adjustment only to compensate for the 20 MOA tapered base.

To the shooting, the SSG-08, from a stationary shooting position is an awesome rifle to shoot. It has a tremendous amount of stock adjustment, to accommodate, Length of pull, Stock to Cheek height, as well as Butt Plate elevation and it is also a side folder making packing it around very nice in an Eberlestock pack.

My favorite two points of this stock are the integrated Mono pod that is very stable and the side folding stock.

My ONLY Con is the horrible Bi-Pod the rifle comes with. If you load and unload this pod, it feels incredibly flimsy and you literally question if it will give out once you load it. This will need to be switched out in the near future. Atlas or even a Harris is in the works. Versa Pod, yea....

The Rifle shot very tight at 400 and performed great as good as my custom out to 1K. Just for kicks, we moved to another firing position with a 30 degree angle and a 1200 yard 30x30 rock. Not gonna lie that the bullet might have been tubeling or even sideways, but with a 168SMK, we were able to hit this tgt 2 out of 5 shots. That is awesome to me and if I would have had more ammo, I would of shot the custom to see if she would of kept up. Over all this is an outstanding rifle for bench work or TAC work but, I would not want to pack this around as a plinker or hunting rifle, its just too heavy. From a fixed firing position, I would say the SSG-08 is an outstanding commercial rifle and I would not hesitate to recommend one.

Another point to mention and this is more of a training and familiarization issue, to get the bolt out, you have to side fold the stock and push the safety wheel forward to allow the bolt to release. If you have the gun tilted up at all, the bolt to action fit is so smooth, the bolt will fall straight out very fast. This happened to me and I Chipped the end of the bolt handle. Not a safety or integrity issue, but I will need to replace this as it will bother me lol.

Here are some pics showing where and what we were shooting. Me and the Mrs on the line.

If there are any angles on the rifle or something you would like to see, Let me know, happy to share.

More to come very soon on the DTA.

Last edited by clearwaterken; 07-17-2013 at 05:35 PM.