Straightening rifle barrel.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Straightening rifle barrel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts

Default Straightening rifle barrel.

So I got a deal from my neighbor on a savage 99 takedown in 300 savage. The reason for the deal is obvious... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225329.931472.jpg
Anyways replacement barrels for this old rifle are not available that I could see. I decided to try straighten it out so I first tried using a jack vs the diff of a truck but that only helped a bit. brought it to my brothers work and used a press and it is perfect now! ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225437.455442.jpg
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225457.575787.jpg
Excited to put it together and give it a whirl

Molon Labe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

you really need to slug it first. a bend that bad may have left the bore pinched. send a round through it with a constricted bore and you have what is called a pipe bomb not a rifle.

once you have slugged it measure the slug and lok for out of round condition along with anything that looks like its been gouged. if its constructed the slug will be less than the diameter of the bore originally. anything less than .300 and its probably constricted too much to be safe. barrel steel is very similar to glass in how it behaves in that it tends to crack and shatter. evidence of that will be like if something was ripping at the slug as it went down the bore.

personally i wouldnt wantt o be behind that when it goes off. metal stressed that much is going to be weak as hell and will kaboom at some point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-16-2014 at 10:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
So I got a deal from my neighbor on a savage 99 takedown in 300 savage. The reason for the deal is obvious... Attachment 148783
Anyways replacement barrels for this old rifle are not available that I could see. I decided to try straighten it out so I first tried using a jack vs the diff of a truck but that only helped a bit. brought it to my brothers work and used a press and it is perfect now! Attachment 148784
Attachment 148785

Molon Labe
Post a range report when you do. I'm curious as to how well the pressing worked out. Got a friend with a bent barrel on his NEF Pardner, (mild bend, but a major PITA when using slugs) that I wall pass this idea on to.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Many gunsmiths can fix you up with a new barrel. I'd cough up the bucks for that before I would trust my life to a barrel that has been bent, then straightened with a hydraulic press.

Slug it though, at a minimum before you take steps that involve actually firing a round through it. If it were me, I'd tie a string to the trigger and be at least fifteen feet away when I test-fired it. Then I'd take a good look at the brass to look for pressure signs.

Over-all, your best bet is to take it to a good gunsmith, tell him the whole story, and then do exactly as he suggests.

Kind Regards, Salvo

People Like This 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #5

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you really need to slug it first. a bend that bad may have left the bore pinched. send a round through it with a constricted bore and you have what is called a pipe bomb not a rifle.

once you have slugged it measure the slug and lok for out of round condition along with anything that looks like its been gouged. if its constructed the slug will be less than the diameter of the bore originally. anything less than .300 and its probably constricted too much to be safe. barrel steel is very similar to glass in how it behaves in that it tends to crack and shatter. evidence of that will be like if something was ripping at the slug as it went down the bore.

personally i wouldnt wantt o be behind that when it goes off. metal stressed that much is going to be weak as hell and will kaboom at some point.
Good call. Just pound a soft piece of lead through?

Molon Labe

Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #6

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

The radius of that bend probably wouldn't lead to any problems. I would
Use the old string and tree stump method to remotely trigger a few roun
ds and let it rip. Then again, I am old, and don't have a lot to lose.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
Many gunsmiths can fix you up with a new barrel. I'd cough up the bucks for that before I would trust my life to a barrel that has been bent, then straightened with a hydraulic press.
I agree with Salvo....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Good call. Just pound a soft piece of lead through?

Molon Labe
yup like a fishing weight just barely bigger than the bore. grease the bore and the lead well before forcing it down the tube.

use a dowel rod cut in sections about 3-4 inches long to do the pounding. drop from the breach end then out the muzzle. after you do that and it all checks ok clean the grease tie it to a string get behind cover and test a bunch of rounds.

i still wouldnt fire it. bending barrels to shoot around corners like the germans did was a pure desperation move. the initial bend isnt really the bad part its the bending it back. your work hardening the steel which makes it more brittle and less able to stand pressure which is why it may not be safe to fire.

you get the same effect by taking a piece of wire and bending it back and forth in the same spot it eventually snaps each bend stress the metal than the last. its a cumalative thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Quote:
So I got a deal from my neighbor on a savage 99 takedown in 300 savage. The reason for the deal is obvious... Attachment 148783
Anyways replacement barrels for this old rifle are not available that I could see. I decided to try straighten it out so I first tried using a jack vs the diff of a truck but that only helped a bit. brought it to my brothers work and used a press and it is perfect now! Attachment 148784
Attachment 148785

Molon Labe
Good Luck !..................

When all else fails.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6138 Times on 3041 Posts
Likes Given: 6518

I agree with Jon on this one, you did a fine job on straitening it but the area it bent at is now much more prone to doing very bad things like blowing up, the metal is not the same strength once you stretch it. Even if it Slug tests fine, its not safe, no way. Its just an accident looking for a place to happen, I really think chopping it up for scrap is about the safest thing you could do with it.