stoning and lubing - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

stoning and lubing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonty View Post
hey thank you again!! i will def get on in. but if you guys can clear up one thing for me... when marking the lug with a black maker i should stop laping when the black mark is no longer rubbed off?? i know its a dumb question.
Not a dumb question at all.

Where the marker wears off will indicate the high spots or contact points.

You should understand the bolt design in order to get the optimum fit. Not all parts you mark with black will necessarily be designed as contact areas.

Each time your arm falls off, (A Bear technical term, Scull) clean up the mess, look at the black area and determine if you are still improving the fit.

It will be easy after a while, the lapped in areas will look polished. As you near completion, and after your cleanup, put a dab of oil on the bolt and run it home a few times to feel for results. If you want a better fit, clean the lube and replace it with more lapping compound. Cycle the bolt again until your arm falls off again. (See technical lexicon above.)

Do the clean-up and start the procedure over again until you get the results you are looking for.

Remember the object of this exercise is not the removal of the black marker, that's just another tool in the process. The end to this lapping process is the subjective improvement or fix for your "stiff bolt problem".

Oh yea, come up for air every so often and post your progress.

Good luck.

The FTF CrackerBarrel GunSmiths.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-10-2010 at 12:25 AM.