Stolen Gun ???????????? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stolen Gun ????????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjunkie View Post
I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)
It sounds to me like the pawn owner is as much of a crook as whoever stole the gun. I would tell the pawn shop owner that you will be calling the ATF to find out if what they are telling you is correct and to make sure they (the pawn shop) followed all procedures before they sold you the gun. THAT in itself might make him rethink his position since the LAST thing any FFL holder wants is the ATF guys going through your records and procedures with a fine tooth comb because if they go through the time/expense of sending a guy out they WILL find something to give you grief about.

If that does not produce the desired result I would follow through and speak to the ATF directly and ask their advice on the matter. They are actually a very helpful bunch. I would also file a claim in small claims court against them (makes them show up to court and defend their actions in front of a judge). If the judge rules in your favor and they don't give you your money you can start a process to get all their bank records and all sorts of good stuff (done it and it's a boatload of fun). Speak to the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (Sheriff or Chief of Police) and the office of the state attorney general and ask them for options to get your money back. Those offices are usually held by folks that get voted in and they are VERY customer service oriented. All this is free to you and all it takes is your time. In essence if you create enough heartburn for them they might just try to get you off their back swiftly.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #22

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Just feel good knowing that someone how had a gun stolen and now has it back.

Me I would talk to a lawyer about filing a law suite against the pawnshop to get my money back pain and suffering and court and attorney fees all taken care of.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
It sounds to me like the pawn owner is as much of a crook as whoever stole the gun. I would tell the pawn shop owner that you will be calling the ATF to find out if what they are telling you is correct and to make sure they (the pawn shop) followed all procedures before they sold you the gun. THAT in itself might make him rethink his position since the LAST thing any FFL holder wants is the ATF guys going through your records and procedures with a fine tooth comb because if they go through the time/expense of sending a guy out they WILL find something to give you grief about.

If that does not produce the desired result I would follow through and speak to the ATF directly and ask their advice on the matter. They are actually a very helpful bunch. I would also file a claim in small claims court against them (makes them show up to court and defend their actions in front of a judge). If the judge rules in your favor and they don't give you your money you can start a process to get all their bank records and all sorts of good stuff (done it and it's a boatload of fun). Speak to the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (Sheriff or Chief of Police) and the office of the state attorney general and ask them for options to get your money back. Those offices are usually held by folks that get voted in and they are VERY customer service oriented. All this is free to you and all it takes is your time. In essence if you create enough heartburn for them they might just try to get you off their back swiftly.

Good luck.
I'd go with this. Make their troubles worth more than paying you what you deserved.

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #24

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'd be trying to understand why the gun was "stolen" only after it went through two separate FDLE checks, not personally being one to believe
in coincidences...