Stolen Gun ???????????? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stolen Gun ????????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10550 Times on 4556 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Here in VA, the requirement is that the pawner be prosecuted and convicted for you to get money back, owner to get property back, etc. The pawnshop owner likely DID report the SN, but it had not been entered into the system- when it was, it popped on on the computer. IF it was not reported stolen until AFTER you bought it, your claim MAY be against the person that pawned it. However, I am not a lawyer, and MY legal advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get a lawyer.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

But I thought pawn shops had to notify the police with the serial numbers to check to see if they were reported stolen before they could be sold. I would love to go to a pawn shop to look at guns but most of the pawn shops are in rough areas and I'm kind of afraid to go there alone.

I was at the gun shop I frequent last week and was talking to the sales man. He said once someone came in and wrote the serial numbers of several used guns on display then went home and reported them stolen. The police came to the shop and confiscated the guns. The guns were then turned over to the guy who reported them stolen even though they were never his guns in the first place. Does that sound possible. This is a younger guy who told me this story and I'm not sure if he was just feeding me a line of BS or if that could be true.
Most guns that criminals sell to pawn shops shave off the serial Numbers so they can't be reported to anyone.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #14

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

The pawn shops here cannot buy a gun that the Numbers are missing and they have to check the status of the gun before they can sell it. If it is not in the stolen gun data base then it will not show up as stolen.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww
The pawn shops here cannot buy a gun that the Numbers are missing and they have to check the status of the gun before they can sell it. If it is not in the stolen gun data base then it will not show up as stolen.
Thank you that is what should happen all over.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

ill ask who the previous owner was, why did they sell, try to get a history. i buy used and new. ill askk how long its been in the store stuff like that. if it sounds like a kid, homeless or goblin type sold it ill skip even if it is a good deal.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ill ask who the previous owner was, why did they sell, try to get a history. i buy used and new. ill askk how long its been in the store stuff like that. if it sounds like a kid, homeless or goblin type sold it ill skip even if it is a good deal.
Smart move. Know the history before you consider it.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calcliffy View Post
Most guns that criminals sell to pawn shops shave off the serial Numbers so they can't be reported to anyone.
No offense, but where did you hear this? A firearm with a visibly altered serial number might as well have STOLEN spraypainted on the stock. If i saw a modern firearm with no serial number, i would point it out to the staff and leave the store. Stolen or not, an altered serial number will get you trouble with the ATF boys.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #19

Liked 243 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calcliffy View Post
Federal offense, and pawn shops with FFLs know this. It's not worth losing everything over a $40 pawn ticket. Pre '68 firearms may not have serial numbers, but it's still pretty rare.
I can tell you at the pawns shops I go to, the serial number of the firearm is entered onto the pawn ticket while it is being generated, before the pawner has gotten any money.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #20

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjunkie View Post
I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)
They don't have any cops working at that pawn shop, do they?