Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stolen Gun ????????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stolen Gun ????????????

I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjunkie View Post
I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)
Sorry about this happening to you. Please see this thread though.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ftf-heads-up-warning-45429/

I wish you luck in however this turns out.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I have heard this happening some times, but that is all I can say about it. Sorry you got took.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I would never buy a gun from a pawn shop due to the simple fact that is where the criminals go to sell off their stolen guns.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

Liked 6106 Times on 3698 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calcliffy View Post
I would never buy a gun from a pawn shop due to the simple fact that is where the criminals go to sell off their stolen guns.
But I thought pawn shops had to notify the police with the serial numbers to check to see if they were reported stolen before they could be sold. I would love to go to a pawn shop to look at guns but most of the pawn shops are in rough areas and I'm kind of afraid to go there alone.

I was at the gun shop I frequent last week and was talking to the sales man. He said once someone came in and wrote the serial numbers of several used guns on display then went home and reported them stolen. The police came to the shop and confiscated the guns. The guns were then turned over to the guy who reported them stolen even though they were never his guns in the first place. Does that sound possible. This is a younger guy who told me this story and I'm not sure if he was just feeding me a line of BS or if that could be true.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I was at the gun shop I frequent last week and was talking to the sales man. He said once someone came in and wrote the serial numbers of several used guns on display then went home and reported them stolen. The police came to the shop and confiscated the guns. The guns were then turned over to the guy who reported them stolen even though they were never his guns in the first place. Does that sound possible. This is a younger guy who told me this story and I'm not sure if he was just feeding me a line of BS or if that could be true.
Hmmmm, big hole in story I think.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #7

Liked 1664 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 2430

Be wary of good gun deals in pawnshops.

Stealing is a very big business that often crosses state lines. About 20 years ago a crew of scumbags got caught transporting a tractor trailer load of high value stolen merchandise from OK into another state. The feds took the case and the scumbags got big prison time.

Here in OK pawnshops and scrapyards often knowingly receive stolen property.
When an obviously meth ravaged perp comes in with valuable property he is usually accomodated. The pawnshop owner gets the perp to sign a certificate of ownership and, he, the pawnshop owner; is protected. If you find your guns in a pawnshop here in OK, the only legal way to get them back is to buy them.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Liked 6106 Times on 3698 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Hmmmm, big hole in story I think.
Could be. It sounded a little too simple to pull off to me, too.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

Mudjunkie, i am not an attorney, but i think you might benefit from talking to one and from talking to the local police, at length. You may end up in civil court suing the pawn shop; the attorney (in your area) would be the one to ask.

I have bought a few firearms from a pawnshop; i've never had any problems with stolen merchandise. If i saw a deal that was too good to be true, i would call the local PD & ask them if the gun had been reported stolen.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Here, the pawner gets a criminal charge for False Information to Obtain Credit. Second offense report is generated for this offense. Pawn shop gets restitution from pawner. Kind of sucks to get stuck in such a situation, especially when you spend the night in jail over it. Let the buyer beware!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball