Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Stolen Gun ???????????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/stolen-gun-45454/)

mudjunkie 07-19-2011 03:24 AM

Stolen Gun ????????????
 
I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)

cddbrowns 07-19-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudjunkie (Post 545052)
I purchased a remington 30-06 from a local pawn shop early march , well last week it was taken by the police they said it was stolen and I would have to deal with the pawn shop to get my money back .
Went to the pawn shop and they told me it was reported stolen right after I bought it ,, then told me they could not refund my money unless the police made them the first victum on a report or they would get in trouble by the ATF and I may never see my money back , Has anyone else ever had a problem like this .
I mean they had all my info , I did the ATF paper work buying the gun everything cleared gun reported stolen after I bought it (Not by me ) And no one contacts me to tell me I have a stolen gun ( My son-in-law spent the evening in jail over this untill I could prove I bought the gun from a pawn shop)

Sorry about this happening to you. Please see this thread though.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ftf-heads-up-warning-45429/

I wish you luck in however this turns out.

opaww 07-19-2011 03:44 AM

I have heard this happening some times, but that is all I can say about it. Sorry you got took.

40calcliffy 07-19-2011 12:51 PM

I would never buy a gun from a pawn shop due to the simple fact that is where the criminals go to sell off their stolen guns.

winds-of-change 07-19-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40calcliffy (Post 545233)
I would never buy a gun from a pawn shop due to the simple fact that is where the criminals go to sell off their stolen guns.

But I thought pawn shops had to notify the police with the serial numbers to check to see if they were reported stolen before they could be sold. I would love to go to a pawn shop to look at guns but most of the pawn shops are in rough areas and I'm kind of afraid to go there alone.

I was at the gun shop I frequent last week and was talking to the sales man. He said once someone came in and wrote the serial numbers of several used guns on display then went home and reported them stolen. The police came to the shop and confiscated the guns. The guns were then turned over to the guy who reported them stolen even though they were never his guns in the first place. Does that sound possible. This is a younger guy who told me this story and I'm not sure if he was just feeding me a line of BS or if that could be true.

PanBaccha 07-19-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 545242)
I was at the gun shop I frequent last week and was talking to the sales man. He said once someone came in and wrote the serial numbers of several used guns on display then went home and reported them stolen. The police came to the shop and confiscated the guns. The guns were then turned over to the guy who reported them stolen even though they were never his guns in the first place. Does that sound possible. This is a younger guy who told me this story and I'm not sure if he was just feeding me a line of BS or if that could be true.

Hmmmm, big hole in story I think. :confused:

alsaqr 07-19-2011 02:22 PM

Be wary of good gun deals in pawnshops.

Stealing is a very big business that often crosses state lines. About 20 years ago a crew of scumbags got caught transporting a tractor trailer load of high value stolen merchandise from OK into another state. The feds took the case and the scumbags got big prison time.

Here in OK pawnshops and scrapyards often knowingly receive stolen property.
When an obviously meth ravaged perp comes in with valuable property he is usually accomodated. The pawnshop owner gets the perp to sign a certificate of ownership and, he, the pawnshop owner; is protected. If you find your guns in a pawnshop here in OK, the only legal way to get them back is to buy them.

winds-of-change 07-19-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 545252)
Hmmmm, big hole in story I think. :confused:

Could be. It sounded a little too simple to pull off to me, too.

orangello 07-19-2011 10:26 PM

Mudjunkie, i am not an attorney, but i think you might benefit from talking to one and from talking to the local police, at length. You may end up in civil court suing the pawn shop; the attorney (in your area) would be the one to ask.


I have bought a few firearms from a pawnshop; i've never had any problems with stolen merchandise. If i saw a deal that was too good to be true, i would call the local PD & ask them if the gun had been reported stolen.

robocop10mm 07-19-2011 10:43 PM

Here, the pawner gets a criminal charge for False Information to Obtain Credit. Second offense report is generated for this offense. Pawn shop gets restitution from pawner. Kind of sucks to get stuck in such a situation, especially when you spend the night in jail over it. Let the buyer beware!


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.