Stock cleaning?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stock cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stock cleaning?

I just got a mauser, and the stock is kind of dingy and a little bit sticky feel to it. what would be a good way to clean it up an make it not sticky any more. Thanks

- Springfield 1911 .45ACP
- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Sand it thoroughly with a medium fine sand paper and wipe all dust off so that the surface is clean. Apply a coat of laminate, let dry completely, and add a second coat and let dry completely, when it no longer sticky take a smooth piece of cloth and wipe it down again. also when you let it dry keep it in a warm dry area of your house.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Sand it thoroughly with a medium fine sand paper and wipe all dust off so that the surface is clean. Apply a coat of laminate, let dry completely, and add a second coat and let dry completely, when it no longer sticky take a smooth piece of cloth and wipe it down again. also when you let it dry keep it in a warm dry area of your house.

Ok, what grit of paper should I use, Like a 1000 grit or something? Will this take care of the stickyness of the stock? as far as laminate goes, is that like a stain or something, sry for the questions but never done ne thing like this before

- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I forget what grit i use, i think it was around 1000, i bought a sanding sponge at wal mart that had multi grits on it, on side is a low grit around 6 i think and the other is a very fine grit around 1k i think. when you sand it with the fine grit it will take off the stickyness when you sand it smooth, if you wish to stain it before you laminate it make sure the stain is all the way dry. the laminate finish will dry hard and smooth almost like a polish. just go to a store like ace or home depot and ask them for what you need, it shouldnt be no more then 20 or 30 bucks, you end product will look like my rifle below.

sany0295.jpg   sany0296.jpg  

Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

O yea that looks good bud, thanks for the info. Ill give it a try an see how it turns out.

- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngreen1 View Post
I just got a mauser, and the stock is kind of dingy and a little bit sticky feel to it. what would be a good way to clean it up an make it not sticky any more. Thanks
The wood on that old Mauser is probably completely saturated with oil and old cosmoline (grease). If you just sand it and try to seal it all you are doing is trapping the stuff in the wood and the finish might not stick properly not to mention you will remove the "cartouches" off the stock which will kill any collectors value the gun might have. You really want to avoid "refinishing" the stock but "cleaning" the stock is Ok.

Google "cleaning C&R stocks". There are TONS of ways of doing it from using oven cleaner to commercial products that leach out that old oil/grease out of the wood THEN protect the wood with a light oil finish which will be authetic to the gun.

But if you go ahead and decide to sand down the wood to refinish make sure you don't round off all the edges. It is the mark of a rookie and it looks terrible.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

Oh ok ill look into that, I dont really care bout the collector part of it, I jus dont want the stock to be sticky feeling,lol. So ill do some more research an see what I can find out thanks!

- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Please don't sand your stock!! You will kill the value of the rifle. 2 methods work for me. I actually use both. Take your rifle completely apart. All metal parts need to be removed from the stock. You can leave the butt plate on as they sometimes don't want to line up again. Wrap the wood parts in Brown paper bags, loosely. I put them in the trunk of my car on a hot sunny day. It cooks the cosmoline/ oil out of them. If it is cold where you are now, some diluted simple green and hot water w/ a Dobie pad (you can find both at your supermarket). Use the mixture sparingly and wipe it off frequently w/ a cotton cloth(old tee shirt, flannel shirt). Let it sit over night and wipe it down w/ Boiled Linseed oil, let sit for an hour and wipe it off, again w/ a cotton cloth. This K98 was done w/ the second method only. More then coat of BLO can be used, I used 4. It also cleans very well.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

[QUOTE=jpattersonnh;456467]Please don't sand your stock!! You will kill the value of the rifle. 2 methods work for me. I actually use both. Take your rifle completely apart. All metal parts need to be removed from the stock. You can leave the butt plate on as they sometimes don't want to line up again. Wrap the wood parts in Brown paper bags, loosely. I put them in the trunk of my car on a hot sunny day. It cooks the cosmoline/ oil out of them. If it is cold where you are now, some diluted simple green and hot water w/ a Dobie pad (you can find both at your supermarket). Use the mixture sparingly and wipe it off frequently w/ a cotton cloth(old tee shirt, flannel shirt). Let it sit over night and wipe it down w/ Boiled Linseed oil, let sit for an hour and wipe it off, again w/ a cotton cloth. This K98 was done w/ the second method only. More then coat of BLO can be used, I used 4. It also cleans very well.

Yea that looks real nice! Although what is a "Dobie Pad"? Thanks for the help!

- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A very simple method is to remove all the metal and wash it down with Murphy's Oil Soap. It will remove the sticky feeling and clean the existing finish without altering it. You can always strip it or go medieval on it later. Less is more.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams