Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Sticky Tape Residue on my barrel - how to remove? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sticky-tape-residue-my-barrel-how-remove-94337/)

Marthor 07-24-2013 02:17 AM

Sticky Tape Residue on my barrel - how to remove?

I foolishly wrapped some tape around my barrel, but then decided for 2 reasons to remove it. 1) tape could hold moisture to cause rust 2) heat from shooting might burn the tape

So, there's some sticky residue left on the black coating. I would use "goo gone", but I want to make sure it won't take off the black coating too.

Suggestions?

thatonespot 07-24-2013 02:18 AM

Goo gone won't take off the coating if you don't scrub to hard.
Maybe use a razor blade and slowly scrape it off.
Heard of a guy just pour boiling water over it and had the residue just flow off.

JonM 07-24-2013 02:25 AM

i use acetone for such stuff. wear gloves. im missing big patches of skin on both palms from handling an aluminum quad rail then using acetone for a cleanup, didnt realize holes got poked in em. the acetone removed a lot of the skin oils off my hands took a month to heal.

any of the liquids that remove glues including goo gone you should wear gloves that have no holes....

however you get it off with hot water or a chemical method be sure to re-oil promptly.

dont use a razor blade you can scratch it easy

thatonespot 07-24-2013 02:27 AM

True with the blade, i only recommend it because it can be quicker than other methods. I used one for the same problem and did fine, i got lucky.

johnr1943 07-24-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 1313344)
I foolishly wrapped some tape around my barrel, but then decided for 2 reasons to remove it. 1) tape could hold moisture to cause rust 2) heat from shooting might burn the tape

So, there's some sticky residue left on the black coating. I would use "goo gone", but I want to make sure it won't take off the black coating too.

Suggestions?

isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) w/ clean, soft cloth. This will remove the only the glue. I would avoid any multi-solvent products and any blades. :)

Axxe55 07-24-2013 03:05 AM

lighter fluid for a Zippo lighter works quite well. just use a soft cloth soaked with the lighter fluid and wipeit on and let it soften it a bit, then rub it off.

rhyno13 07-24-2013 03:09 AM

Acetone would be your best bet.

MisterMcCool 07-24-2013 03:29 AM

A steamer would be best. Like for taking the wrinkles out of clothes. Or hold it over a pot of boiling water.

smarquez 07-24-2013 05:25 AM

Is it painted with water colors? Any barrel finish is made to protect the barrel so it would take a lot to hurt the finish. Actually bordering on neglect. All the above recommendations will work. You could probably even use brake fluid, just don't get any of the cleaners mentioned near your stock finish. Try laying some duct tape over the old glue and pulling it off. It works pretty well on dirtbikes to remove old stickers.

BillDeShivs 07-24-2013 05:26 AM

WD 40, alcohol, Goo Gone.
You guys are over thinking this.