Sticky Bolt Syndrome - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sticky Bolt Syndrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
follow up the mineral spirits with a cleaning using denatured alcohol. the denatured alcohol instantly disolves lacquer. just be sure you DO NOT get it on the stock as it will instantly strip it the lacquer finish.

between the mineral spirits and alcohol it should fix your issues.
What if I soaked/ rubbed the bullets with the mineral spirits and the denatured alcohol to strip them of the lacquer instead?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #12

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

All of these ideas will work okay for cleaning the chamber, but I do not think the gun itself is the cause of this problem. Even starting with a spotless chamber the lacquer-coated cases will soon start sticking after a few rounds are fired. The lacquer on the cases will soften and cause this problem over and over. I have talked to other shooters who have experienced this problem with a Mosin Nagant and they concurred that the ammo was the root cause of the problem with sticking bolts. Maybe somehow finely polishing the chamber might help but it would take a certain skill level to do it right, and I certainly wouldn't suggest it.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I did everything c3 said then I lapped my bolt to the receiver. I haven't had too much trouble since. Polish the mating surfaces on the bolt as well, a little 1000 grit sand paper and some mothers mag polish.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
All of these ideas will work okay for cleaning the chamber, but I do not think the gun itself is the cause of this problem. Even starting with a spotless chamber the lacquer-coated cases will soon start sticking after a few rounds are fired. The lacquer on the cases will soften and cause this problem over and over. I have talked to other shooters who have experienced this problem with a Mosin Nagant and they concurred that the ammo was the root cause of the problem with sticking bolts. Maybe somehow finely polishing the chamber might help but it would take a certain skill level to do it right, and I certainly wouldn't suggest it.
So Blue Turf, so do think I could clean the lacquer off the bullets with unnatured alcohol without hurting them?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 View Post
So Blue Turf, so do think I could clean the lacquer off the bullets with unnatured alcohol without hurting them?
I think it could be done, but I wouldn't suggest it. There is a very real possibility that removing the lacquer coating could make the sticking problem even worse. It is not unusual for different types of metal surfaces to bind and seize up when making contact with each other, much like trying to insert a brass case into a non-carbide reloading die with not enough or no lubricant. I think I would just swab the chamber after a few shots and do this until the steed cased ammo is gone. I tried this and it was kind of a pain-in-the-butt but it worked.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5510 Times on 2877 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 View Post
What if I soaked/ rubbed the bullets with the mineral spirits and the denatured alcohol to strip them of the lacquer instead?
the mineral spirits wont affect the lacquer. but the denatured alcohol will remove it with a wipe down. removing it wont hurt long as you understand as soon as its gone the steel is unprotected and can start rusting rather quickly.

lot of work for no reason. once the chamber is good and clean it takes a while to gunk it up again. sticky bolt is usually a result of a unclean cosmo'd chamber combined with lacquer.

you can reduce the buildup of lacquer by immediatly removing a fired case and not overheating the gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-13-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #17

*edit*

Now we're making sense.

Last edited by JonM; 08-13-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have cleaned the bore and chamber fully, and lubed the bolt. Im not going to try to de-lacquer the bullets, just going to try to get through the steel ammo then get "the good stuff" thank you all!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSniper91395

I read on a different forum that another shooter tried this and the alcohol penetrated the rounds and he had FTF on half his rounds. Anything strong enough to remove lacquer will most likely penetrate the round and damage the powder or primer.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5510 Times on 2877 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I read on a different forum that another shooter tried this and the alcohol penetrated the rounds and he had FTF on half his rounds. Anything strong enough to remove lacquer will most likely penetrate the round and damage the powder or primer.
i doubt using a damp cloth with it will hurt anything. that guy prolly dipped em instead of just doing a wipe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...