Sticky Bolt Syndrome

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Sticky Bolt Syndrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sticky Bolt Syndrome

Just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant, I had an amazing time and it's super accurate, 2 MOA at 100 yards compared to my last Mosin that bested at 5 MOA. However, I did encounter a major problem, my bolt jammed EVERYTIME. After 6 rounds it jammed up so bad that I had to set it on the table and use my shoe to bang it open. I know that these guns are known for the "sticky bolt syndrome" but this can't be untreatable. I will say that it was 104 degrees and that dusty outside, and i was firing mil-surp, but if there is any way to at least treat the sticky bolt syndrome Id be very grateful to know about it, cures are even better. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 View Post
Just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant, I had an amazing time and it's super accurate, 2 MOA at 100 yards compared to my last Mosin that bested at 5 MOA. However, I did encounter a major problem, my bolt jammed EVERYTIME. After 6 rounds it jammed up so bad that I had to set it on the table and use my shoe to bang it open. I know that these guns are known for the "sticky bolt syndrome" but this can't be untreatable. I will say that it was 104 degrees and that dusty outside, and i was firing mil-surp, but if there is any way to at least treat the sticky bolt syndrome Id be very grateful to know about it, cures are even better. Thank you.
scrub the chamber very well...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Anything specific I should use? I used Hoppes solvent when I cleaned it, then oiled it with Remington Rem oil.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

For my part I do the exact same cleaning you just described... my bolts are tough on both rifles but I usually just smack em around a bit...

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, then I will continue. Thank you

Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Sticky bolt is the bane of M-N shooters. Two things- First. strip down the bolt. CLEAN the innards. Damned cosmoline gets into everything.

While you have the bolt out of the gun, CHEAN the chamber and locking lug area. I use a drill, length of cleaning rod, 20 g shotgun brush. Use some Hoppes, spin the brush for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving. Wipe chamber GOOD with clean patch. Use clean patch on tip of little finger, get the locking lug grooves.

Use a 20 g bore mop, and put a dab of JB Boreshine on it. Buff with the drill for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving in and out. Then clean the chamber and bore to remove any JB.

You need to operate bolt briskly, not gently- but the above should cure most of the problem.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Use mineral spirits along with the brush that c3shooter recommended. Some gun solvents have a hard time breaking down the bees wax that is one of the components in the Russian cosmoline.

Otherwise keep smacking the bolt "like a Russian mail order bride" until it loosens up.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

From experience I think I can tell you exactly why the bolt is sticking. The problem is most likely caused by the ammo you are using, not the gun. I have the feeling you have been shooting the steel cased surplus ammo that is coated with lacquer. When you shoot a few rounds the chamber heats up and the heat softens up the lacquer coating on the ammo cases. This causes the case to stick in the chamber. The bolt appears to be stuck because the extractor is attached to the case. There is not a lot you can do about this problem when you shoot this type of ammo. After experiencing this with my Mosin Nagant I tried ammo with a brass case and had no issues with sticking. Of course you should always thoroughly clean your rifle after each use, but a dirty chamber is not the cause of this problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5954 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 5522

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Sticky bolt is the bane of M-N shooters. Two things- First. strip down the bolt. CLEAN the innards. Damned cosmoline gets into everything.

While you have the bolt out of the gun, CHEAN the chamber and locking lug area. I use a drill, length of cleaning rod, 20 g shotgun brush. Use some Hoppes, spin the brush for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving. Wipe chamber GOOD with clean patch. Use clean patch on tip of little finger, get the locking lug grooves.

Use a 20 g bore mop, and put a dab of JB Boreshine on it. Buff with the drill for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving in and out. Then clean the chamber and bore to remove any JB.

You need to operate bolt briskly, not gently- but the above should cure most of the problem.

I pretty much agree with c3. but I like to scrub it with the bronze brush, wipe it out with a patch, and then wet the chamber and let it soak in Hoppe's overnight before proceeding.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

follow up the mineral spirits with a cleaning using denatured alcohol. the denatured alcohol instantly disolves lacquer. just be sure you DO NOT get it on the stock as it will instantly strip it the lacquer finish.

between the mineral spirits and alcohol it should fix your issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...