Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Sticky Bolt Syndrome (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/sticky-bolt-syndrome-70167/)

SubSniper91395 08-12-2012 06:20 PM

Sticky Bolt Syndrome

Just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant, I had an amazing time and it's super accurate, 2 MOA at 100 yards compared to my last Mosin that bested at 5 MOA. However, I did encounter a major problem, my bolt jammed EVERYTIME. After 6 rounds it jammed up so bad that I had to set it on the table and use my shoe to bang it open. I know that these guns are known for the "sticky bolt syndrome" but this can't be untreatable. I will say that it was 104 degrees and that dusty outside, and i was firing mil-surp, but if there is any way to at least treat the sticky bolt syndrome Id be very grateful to know about it, cures are even better. Thank you.

Jpyle 08-12-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubSniper91395 (Post 901520)
Just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant, I had an amazing time and it's super accurate, 2 MOA at 100 yards compared to my last Mosin that bested at 5 MOA. However, I did encounter a major problem, my bolt jammed EVERYTIME. After 6 rounds it jammed up so bad that I had to set it on the table and use my shoe to bang it open. I know that these guns are known for the "sticky bolt syndrome" but this can't be untreatable. I will say that it was 104 degrees and that dusty outside, and i was firing mil-surp, but if there is any way to at least treat the sticky bolt syndrome Id be very grateful to know about it, cures are even better. Thank you.

scrub the chamber very well...

SubSniper91395 08-12-2012 06:49 PM

Anything specific I should use? I used Hoppes solvent when I cleaned it, then oiled it with Remington Rem oil.

Werminator 08-12-2012 06:52 PM

For my part I do the exact same cleaning you just described... my bolts are tough on both rifles but I usually just smack em around a bit...

SubSniper91395 08-12-2012 07:00 PM

Alright, then I will continue. Thank you

c3shooter 08-12-2012 07:33 PM

Sticky bolt is the bane of M-N shooters. Two things- First. strip down the bolt. CLEAN the innards. Damned cosmoline gets into everything.

While you have the bolt out of the gun, CHEAN the chamber and locking lug area. I use a drill, length of cleaning rod, 20 g shotgun brush. Use some Hoppes, spin the brush for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving. Wipe chamber GOOD with clean patch. Use clean patch on tip of little finger, get the locking lug grooves.

Use a 20 g bore mop, and put a dab of JB Boreshine on it. Buff with the drill for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving in and out. Then clean the chamber and bore to remove any JB.

You need to operate bolt briskly, not gently- but the above should cure most of the problem.

SSGN_Doc 08-12-2012 08:16 PM

Use mineral spirits along with the brush that c3shooter recommended. Some gun solvents have a hard time breaking down the bees wax that is one of the components in the Russian cosmoline.

Otherwise keep smacking the bolt "like a Russian mail order bride" until it loosens up.

BlueTurf 08-12-2012 08:29 PM

From experience I think I can tell you exactly why the bolt is sticking. The problem is most likely caused by the ammo you are using, not the gun. I have the feeling you have been shooting the steel cased surplus ammo that is coated with lacquer. When you shoot a few rounds the chamber heats up and the heat softens up the lacquer coating on the ammo cases. This causes the case to stick in the chamber. The bolt appears to be stuck because the extractor is attached to the case. There is not a lot you can do about this problem when you shoot this type of ammo. After experiencing this with my Mosin Nagant I tried ammo with a brass case and had no issues with sticking. Of course you should always thoroughly clean your rifle after each use, but a dirty chamber is not the cause of this problem.

locutus 08-12-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 901579)
Sticky bolt is the bane of M-N shooters. Two things- First. strip down the bolt. CLEAN the innards. Damned cosmoline gets into everything.

While you have the bolt out of the gun, CHEAN the chamber and locking lug area. I use a drill, length of cleaning rod, 20 g shotgun brush. Use some Hoppes, spin the brush for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving. Wipe chamber GOOD with clean patch. Use clean patch on tip of little finger, get the locking lug grooves.

Use a 20 g bore mop, and put a dab of JB Boreshine on it. Buff with the drill for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving in and out. Then clean the chamber and bore to remove any JB.

You need to operate bolt briskly, not gently- but the above should cure most of the problem.

I pretty much agree with c3. but I like to scrub it with the bronze brush, wipe it out with a patch, and then wet the chamber and let it soak in Hoppe's overnight before proceeding.

JonM 08-12-2012 11:38 PM

follow up the mineral spirits with a cleaning using denatured alcohol. the denatured alcohol instantly disolves lacquer. just be sure you DO NOT get it on the stock as it will instantly strip it the lacquer finish.

between the mineral spirits and alcohol it should fix your issues.