Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Steyr Straight Pull Bolt Carbine, 8x56r?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Steyr Straight Pull Bolt Carbine, 8x56r?

Hello,

I found one of these for cheap.

I really like it. It's almost as light as an M1 Carbine but has a LOT more power.

The straight pull bolt is easy for me, a lefty, to work.

Problem is that I went on an ammo hunt before buying it.

WHERE THE HECK IS THE AMMO? I love the this short rifle, and the sights rock. I'd love to make it a go-to rifle, but need ammo before I buy the thing!

I have one or two rounds in my collection I picked up someplace. That's the only stuff I've ever seen.

I also understand I need an en-bloc clip sort of like the Garand..? Where can I get those?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7585 Times on 3302 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

As the man said, you are ten years past cheap, and five beyond reasonable. Google 8x56R ammunition, and several companies have it. And they seem QUITE proud of it, too! FWIW. is still in manufacture. Start shopping for loading dies.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #3

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

I found one of these for cheap.

I really like it. It's almost as light as an M1 Carbine but has a LOT more power.

The straight pull bolt is easy for me, a lefty, to work.

Problem is that I went on an ammo hunt before buying it.

WHERE THE HECK IS THE AMMO? I love the this short rifle, and the sights rock. I'd love to make it a go-to rifle, but need ammo before I buy the thing!

I have one or two rounds in my collection I picked up someplace. That's the only stuff I've ever seen.

I also understand I need an en-bloc clip sort of like the Garand..? Where can I get those?

Thanks,

Josh
The M95 Styer is a great rifle. The sights are not set for Yards or Meters. Forget the correct name, but it works out to 75 yard increments. Ammo is pricey. It was real cheap years ago. 8X56R Ammo Steyr M95 and M95/34 10 Rds NAZI Marked - $20.00 : Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.

I sold my perfect M95 to a friend years ago w/ 400 rounds of surplus and 2 boxes of modern hunting ammo, $200.00. He still has 200 or so cartridges in original boxes. 1920's is loose, 1930 is Nazi headstamped and on En-bloks. He has 3 boxes of Hornady ammo (prvi). He started reloading a while back, that is the way to go.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #4

I really like those rifles, except for the recoil. Surplus ammo is more expensive than new. I have some surplus that I will sell, but not cheaply. Many people collect ammo & I have some with several different headstamps, including a couple Nazis.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f41/8-x-56r-ammo-sale-30811/

Last edited by Esteban; 09-23-2010 at 01:13 PM.