Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Steyr AUG (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/steyr-aug-23958/)

gadrooning 02-27-2010 07:49 PM

Steyr AUG

Does anyone have a steyr aug or have experience with one. I really like this bullpup design.

Shihan 02-27-2010 08:11 PM

I know of one member that does, sure he will give you some info.

I do not. I just didn't want your post to have views and no replies.

Hold on and answers will come along.

Glasshartt 02-27-2010 10:20 PM

I gave Scubie one for Christmas/Anniversary. It makes a great gun puzzle. I am sure that he will be along shortly to give you more info, I haven't fired it yet.

skullcrusher 02-27-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt (Post 237907)
I haven't fired it yet.

Me either. :D

Gad, there is a post somewhere in the Bunker (I believe) about the torture Glasshartt put Dzscubie through with the Steyr AUG. Possibly search 'Pure Evil' or something like that. LOL. :D

Was there a 'range report' on that or not? I don't recall. :eek:

gadrooning 02-27-2010 10:32 PM

look forward finding that and reading it.:)

M14sRock 02-27-2010 11:25 PM

I bought one in 1988 and loved it. Handpicked it out of the last 53 we imported before the door slammed shut. Second best test target, but the best trigger of the 53.

Mine was very accurate, it fit me like a custom made rifle and carried well.

But in the early 90's I got a great deal on a few thousand rds of Belgian surplus ammo (marked SS92 on the boxes). It would sometimes fail to go all the way into battery in my AUG, but my AR and Mini 14 gobbled it up with no problem.

Due to the unreliability with that ammo I sold the AUG to Dave's Guns in Denver (I paid $825 and sold for $4,500 so was happy) and never looked back. Sold my extra mags for a LOT to someone else.

The Austrian AUG's were very smooth. 2 years ago at SHOT Show I played with a couple of the new AUG-esque rifles and noticed that they were not smooth at all. But I love that the new ones can be had with a Picatinny rail, and the ergonomics still rock.

I'd buy another AUG in a minute, especially now that the prices are reasonable again. But it would need a 1/7 or 1/8 twist, would need to use original AUG mags or M16 mags and I'd need to be out of CA.

Dzscubie 02-27-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadrooning (Post 237810)
Does anyone have a steyr aug or have experience with one. I really like this bullpup design.

Hi gadrooning,

Yes, I do have an Aug one of the new ones manufactured here in the US and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I havenít posted a range report as I havenít been able to put it through its paces yet as the optics I had for it had a manufactured defect in the quick release system and I had to wait for it to be replaced. Iím hoping to go to the range tomorrow if Glasshartt lets me. :D

gadrooning 02-28-2010 12:10 AM

Dzs your my new best friend. Please keep us posted how it performs. Is it a gas or piston blowback system? I am really interested in it's accuracy out to a hundred yards, but more importantly are you getting a noseful of gas when shooting more than three rounds at a time. How is the trigger?

Dzscubie 02-28-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadrooning (Post 238004)
Dzs your my new best friend. Please keep us posted how it performs. Is it a gas or piston blowback system? I am really interested in it's accuracy out to a hundred yards, but more importantly are you getting a noseful of gas when shooting more than three rounds at a time. How is the trigger?

My old Aug (issued by the Customs Service) was an original Austrian Aug from over 22 years ago and had the manufactures fixed optics. It was a Class III full auto and a pure joy to shoot. It was extremely accurate out to 50 yards but that was as far as we shot during quals and practice. Never had a problem with the gas system and it was a pleasure to shoot full auto. It was very controllable in short burst and stayed on target with little effort. I am assuming my new Aug will be as comfortable to shoot and as accurate.