Stevens 425 High Power - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stevens 425 High Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageautomobilia View Post
Thanks for your helpful information.

I think the steel used was Nickel Steel. The butt plate on the Stevens 425 is different looking from the Winchester, but shape-wise, I don't know.

We have now found 117 guns and know the calibers of all but two serial numbers (4073 and another gun that we only have the first two numbers 40XX). Everything I have found so far indicates that Brophy's information in the Marlin book is most likely correct -- that Stevens (and Savage) only made about 1000 of these guns. Here's the breakdown so far:

1XXX = 28 guns
2XXX = 26 guns
3XXX = 26 guns
4XXX = 23 guns
5XXX = 14 guns

.25 Rem = 14 guns
.30 Rem = 43 guns
.32 Rem = 14 guns
.35 Rem = 40 guns

The lowest serial number is now 1021 (the serial number on this gun is on the lever not the lower tang) and the highest is still 5594. The only two consecutive numbers found so far are 3694 and 3695, both in .35 Rem. All serial numbers found are still only 4-digit numbers, and it is interesting that the number of rifles in each serial number range has remained so constant.

More guns with their serial numbers and calibers will only help!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
A couple of corrections to the caliber numbers (I can't count):

.32 Rem = 16
.35 Rem = 42

Sorry!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #52

Cableas in Olyimpia WA, had one in in the used rifle rack last week. They had the lever tied shut so I could not see the s/n, caliber 25 Rem.

I will try to find out the s/n

James Wisner

Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #53

Hello Peter,
I am new. I have a J Stevens 425, .25 Cal rifle, given to my by my elderly father a couple of years ago. On the barrel ( top left side) it says "J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A CAL .25 REM SOFT POINT" and on the barrel (top right side) it says 425 STEVENS HIGH POWER PAT. MAR. 15. 29. 1910. NICKEL STEEL"

Underneath where you pull the part you cock, to chamber the ammunition, there is the number 1827.

My dad is 87 years old (lives in the San Joaquin Valley, in Merced, CA) and this rifle belonged to either his dad or his uncle. I have a box that it was in when he gave it to me and it says Sheridan, Wyoming on the box -- I don't know what that is about. (It may be the box manufacturer.)

At any rate, since 25 CAL is pretty rare, I am looking to find out how much I can get for it, in order to buy something I might be able to use.

Do you have any ideas on the value of this rifle? I can take some photos of it for anyone who is interested. It seem to be in pretty good condition to me. It has two clean holes behind the hammer and I think I read that some kind of site could be attached there.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carolyn K
Thornton, WA

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #54

Default High power 35 rem

Hello everyone,
I have a high power 35 that belonged to my great uncle. It is a model 425 but I have not found where the serial number is located. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sory I found the number it was so faint that I could barely see it until I was in just the right light. My serial number is # 1214.

Last edited by chopaz; 02-18-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: found what I was loking for

Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Hello Peter,
I am new. I have a J Stevens 425, .25 Cal rifle, given to my by my elderly father a couple of years ago. On the barrel ( top left side) it says "J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A CAL .25 REM SOFT POINT" and on the barrel (top right side) it says 425 STEVENS HIGH POWER PAT. MAR. 15. 29. 1910. NICKEL STEEL"

Underneath where you pull the part you cock, to chamber the ammunition, there is the number 1827.

My dad is 87 years old (lives in the San Joaquin Valley, in Merced, CA) and this rifle belonged to either his dad or his uncle. I have a box that it was in when he gave it to me and it says Sheridan, Wyoming on the box -- I don't know what that is about. (It may be the box manufacturer.)

At any rate, since 25 CAL is pretty rare, I am looking to find out how much I can get for it, in order to buy something I might be able to use.

Do you have any ideas on the value of this rifle? I can take some photos of it for anyone who is interested. It seem to be in pretty good condition to me. It has two clean holes behind the hammer and I think I read that some kind of site could be attached there.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carolyn K
Thornton, WA
I just found out that these rifles even exist, so I have no idea what it would be worth. I would be willing to buy it when you find out the value.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #56

Default J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co.

I have a J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. Model 425 Remington .32. I don't know much about it. The serial number on it is 3876. Does anyone have any idea what year it was made? I'm curious as to what the value is. I don't want to sell it, it is somewhat of a family heirloom. The rifle is in great condition. My Great Uncle owned it and used to hunt with it when my Dad was a child. It is one of several rifles that my Great Uncle handed down to my Father when he died. Any info that anyone has on it would be greatly appreciated! Or, any websites (free) that you may be able to throw me towards. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Stevens 425 High Power

We are now up to 123 of these scarce rifles. All serial numbers are still only 4-digit, the lowest is still number 1021, and the highest number is still 5594. We have now also found another consecutive numbered gun. The first consectutively numbered guns we found are #3694 and #3695. Now we have found #3056 and #3057. Rifle #3057 in .30 Rem was listed as sold in a recent RIA auction, but I don't have any further information.

Last edited by vintageautomobilia; 03-13-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Changed count & spelling

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #58

Default Stevens 425

Just picked up a Stevens 425 High Power in 30-30. It is missing the butt stock.
Serial number 4136. I know finding a replacement stock will be nearly impossible. Has anyone duplicated a stock? Thanks.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #59

Check out gunbroker. I keep seeing an unfinished stock set pop up on there from time to time.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #60

Default Gun stock

Thier is a set for sale on ebay right now for $135 and $10.75 for s/h.