Stevens 425 High Power - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stevens 425 High Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I purchased this with receiver missing. I believe that over the years these rifles were heavily used due to their lower cost than their competitors. A lot of people may have these fine rifles but do not realize what they have in their posession! Stevens may have not manufactured as many rifles as thought. Due to this factor thus the low numbers that are recorded.
Maybe you should contact GunDigest again? I believe 40% would be a good estimate. What is the rate for other rifles of that period and time frame?

Sent from my LS670 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #192

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a collection of 4 Stevens 425 high power rifles. I also just sold a 5th
.32 rem S.N 1886 Very Good cond.
.32 rem S.N. 3152 Excellent Cond.
30/30 S.N. 1403 Very Good cond.
.35 rem S.N. 2386 Very good cond.
.25 rem Sold . I will post S.N. Latter.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #193

I think more get destroyed than you think. During ww2 a lot of scrap was needed and people gave up lots of things to help the war effort (a damaged nonfunctioning gun might help a son during the war if it was turned into a tank or new gun). I think contacting the Cody museum with your info and talking to a statistician might help. We have all heard of guns found in dire straits lost and rusted in the woods, guns lost in rivers lakes and stream. I think confirming if there was another firearm number with the 425 would be a great piece of info. If there is another firearm numbered with it start a like thread on it. In short time you should start to fill in a ratio between the 2 guns. These are a few on my thoughts.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #194

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansova View Post
I think more get destroyed than you think. During ww2 a lot of scrap was needed and people gave up lots of things to help the war effort (a damaged nonfunctioning gun might help a son during the war if it was turned into a tank or new gun). I think contacting the Cody museum with your info and talking to a statistician might help. We have all heard of guns found in dire straits lost and rusted in the woods, guns lost in rivers lakes and stream. I think confirming if there was another firearm number with the 425 would be a great piece of info. If there is another firearm numbered with it start a like thread on it. In short time you should start to fill in a ratio between the 2 guns. These are a few on my thoughts.
Savage says the Stevens 425 High Power was serial numbered with another gun (possibly identified as a Model 15) and that there is no way to separate the Stevens numbers from the other gun.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #195

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman1 View Post
I purchased this with receiver missing. I believe that over the years these rifles were heavily used due to their lower cost than their competitors. A lot of people may have these fine rifles but do not realize what they have in their posession! Stevens may have not manufactured as many rifles as thought. Due to this factor thus the low numbers that are recorded.
Maybe you should contact GunDigest again? I believe 40% would be a good estimate. What is the rate for other rifles of that period and time frame?

Sent from my LS670 using Firearms Talk mobile app
I still think Brophy, in his Marlin book, was correct when he said only about 1,000 Stevens High Power rifles were ever manufactured. In the six years I've been looking (with this forum and other sources) I've seen very little to cause me to change my mind. We have found VERY few consecutive serial numbers (almost none!) and the number of guns in each serial number range has remained constant. The thought that a low priced gun would mean a lower survival rate doesn't make sense to me. A lower priced quality gun I think would mean higher sales, and thus more survivors.

Last edited by vintageautomobilia; 04-19-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #196

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageautomobilia View Post
The thought that a low priced gun would mean a lower survival rate doesn't make sense to me. A lower priced quality gun I think would mean higher sales, and thus more survivors.
Survival rate means a percentage of all guns made that survived. A low priced gun will be used and will therefore probably have a lower PERCENTAGE of survivors than a high priced heirloom.

If the gun has high sales, then it may have a high number of survivors despite a low percentage, but I haven't seen much evidence that the Stevens 425 had particularly high sales, at least compared to the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:19 AM   #197

Default Model 15

No you can't separate them except by starting a list of there serial numbers the numbers will not be duplicated but in short order you will start filling in the gaps in your 425 numbers. I do not believe it is the model 15 looks like a much newer 22 bolt action.

I would suspect that the 425 survived at about the same rate as model 94 Winchesters or Marlins of the same time frame and think someone from the Cody museum could help.

Still need to know what firearm was lumped in with the 425 probably looking in a catalog from the era of the 425 to find a gun that may have been numbered with it. then checking serial numbers to see if they duplicate or not. If they duplicate than that is not the gun in the same number blocks.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #198

if I am not mistaken model 15 does not have serial numbers

Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #199

just aquired my 4th 425 in 32 rem #3087 do u have that #

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #200

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, yes #3087 is on our list.

I have a Winchester Model 11 SL Autoloader 12ga. shotgun that I would sell, but would prefer to trade for a Stevens 425 High Power in .25 Rem. Anybody interested?

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member