Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   Stealth Recon Scout Covert: Legal in CA? (

HenryACR 01-20-2011 02:22 AM

Stealth Recon Scout Covert: Legal in CA?
I am going to be 18 in February of 2012, and I'm planning on purchasing my first firearm. I have been doing a LOT of research on the subject, but since I live in this horrible state with paranoid parents I haven't had any range time or up-close firearm experience. However, I know more about them than any civilian I know, period.

Right now I have been drooling over a particular model made by Desert Tactical Arms known as the SRS Covert in .308 Winchester. This would be a long-lasting, multi-purpose rifle for hunting, the range, possible home defense, and hanging on the wall for showing off. However, the website claims that the overall length (without the suppressor, of course) is only 28.25 inches. Does that mean that it is too short to own in California?

It looks like an amazing rifle. If you haven't heard of it, it's the shortest .308 Winchester in existence and you should definitely check out the link below. Extremely durable. Does anyone know if it's legal where I live? Thank you.

Stealth Recon Scout (SRS) Covert .308 WIN | Desert Tactical Arms

canebrake 01-20-2011 02:25 AM

The FTF flunked itís Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

Jo da Plumbr 01-20-2011 03:29 AM

If you'll take the time to read the website you gave the link to; it says under Support and FAQs section, that yes it is CA legal.

Also here is the CA DOJ website. Better to get the facts for yourself then trust others to interpret for you, IMO.

Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

CA357 01-20-2011 03:46 AM

You understand that the suppressor is sold separately? I don't know how easily you'll be able to get a permit for it and your age may be a factor as well. This is California and they hate guns here, guess what they think about suppressor?

I'm just sayin'.

willfully armed 01-20-2011 05:14 AM

Really? For the cost of that, you could get a REAL gun built by GA Precision.

dog2000tj 01-20-2011 05:51 AM

If you are looking to spend that kind of dough on a .308W might I suggest yoou look at one made by these folks,

Custom AR10 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing AR 10

More often than not the manufacturer can give you an answer as to whether a firearm is legal to own in your state ;)

HenryACR 01-20-2011 06:28 AM

thanks guys, i guess i kinda rushed into this cuz i got excited over the new find. i will look more carefully next time.

also, if any of you are veterans, thank you for your service. i am eternally grateful.