Stay Or Upgrade? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stay Or Upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2504 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrangTuan View Post
Yeah, I'm in to Ak, But i'm looking for a High Caliber Long Range Rifle lol.
7.62 X 54R is pretty punchy. How far are you reaching?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Here you go 338 lapua on gunsamerica and its a beast http://www.gunsamerica.com/931870438/Remington_700_XCR_338_Lapua_Magnum.htm

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://www.gunsamerica.com/990853342/Remington_338_Lapua_Tactical_Rifle.htm

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Why don't you get good with what you have??? It is great that you are trying to learn but it does not seem you have a clue about long range shooting. I would focus on putting a good piece of glass on your rifle. Also have you considered the the .338 and 50 BMG are truly long range calibers that require a LOT OF SPACE to shoot and each time you pull the trigger you are burning a five dollar bill? Learn to shoot what you have and put good glass on it then save for the .338/50BMG.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That 300 win mag is an easy 1000 meter shooting gun with a flat trajectory and is really a great rifle I would just keep that and go get a nice luepold mil dot scope

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Howdy,

Well i just bought a Savage 111LR Hunter .300 Win Mag..

Now i got some cash extra laying around from my dad(He give me some cash to borrow.Yes i know i'm a gun freak). So i wanted to buy another caliber, either a Savage 111 lr hunter or maybe a used ..50 bmg rifle.

I'm looking for a under 3,000 dollars.

Let me think. What rifle is tactical look that is under 3,000.

I like Strong and Powerful caliber and tactical rifle.

Let me know what some rifle that you know that is like the one im describing.

Edit: Please, No Negative comments.
Quote:
Well the rifle that i have in mind is a Savage 111 Long Range hunter .338 Lapua, My other option is a cheap .50 bmg (Serbu,Shtf,etc), I just want an opinion from you guys.
Trang,The LRH in 300 WM will be all the rifle you will need for quite a while. If you haven't shot it yet,it will be very strong and powerful in that light weight stock.
I'm not trying to sound negative,but starting out with a 300 WM is a big mistake a lot of beginning shooters make. Most shooters will develop bad habits from the recoil these big calibers have,and it's really hard to fix those bad habits once you develop them.
If I had an extra $3000,I'd invest in a top shelf stock like a Manners,McMillan,or Stockade.And spend the rest on quality optics for that weapon,as well as some reloading equipment and learn how to tune your ammo to the rifle.
Then I would spend as much time at the range as possible shooting it at 100 yards until I shot sub-moa with it,then try it at longer ranges.

Anyone can go out and buy the biggest,fastest,coolest rifle made,but if you have no experience shooting at long range,you will just look like a fool with too much money.

Anybody can buy a fast car,Very few know how to drive one!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8282 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Trang,The LRH in 300 WM will be all the rifle you will need for quite a while. If you haven't shot it yet,it will be very strong and powerful in that light weight stock.
I'm not trying to sound negative,but starting out with a 300 WM is a big mistake a lot of beginning shooters make. Most shooters will develop bad habits from the recoil these big calibers have,and it's really hard to fix those bad habits once you develop them.
If I had an extra $3000,I'd invest in a top shelf stock like a Manners,McMillan,or Stockade.And spend the rest on quality optics for that weapon,as well as some reloading equipment and learn how to tune your ammo to the rifle.
Then I would spend as much time at the range as possible shooting it at 100 yards until I shot sub-moa with it,then try it at longer ranges.

Anyone can go out and buy the biggest,fastest,coolest rifle made,but if you have no experience shooting at long range,you will just look like a fool with too much money.

Tex has some excellent advice here. Take the $3 grand and invest it in making the Savage into a better gun. New stock, new and better glass, maybe spend some on an RCBS RC SUPREME MASTER RELOADING KIT and the rest of the gear to reload for the .300 WM and you should be able to develop a top notch long range rifle. Don't forget primers, powder, bullets and brass for it. The kit alone (less dies) is under $500. You can go over $1000 with all the rest of it pretty quick.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will add this. what makes a person a good rifle shooter? being behind the trigger and putting rounds downrange. there is no substitute that i know of that will work.

that being said, if you can't afford to send rounds downrange, either by buying them or reloading for them, there is little possiblity that you can ever get good at shooting long range.

i didn't realize that your shooting ability was as limited as it is. that being said, the 300 WM will be much more than enough for quite a while until you hone your rifle skills. that 300 WM may be even too much and be more a liablity than asset, because of recoil. if you gain a flinch because of recoil, you will no want to shoot as much, adn will hinder your ability to accurately hit a target. you might want to even consider something more gentle and more practical and even much cheaper to shoot than the 300 WM , like a 308 instead. lots of factory ammo available for it and much cheaper to shoot than the 300 WM. the 308 can be shot accurately out to 1000 yards if you hone your skills and abilities to shoot accurately.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Bingo! Good advice.