Starting a gun collection should i buy expensive guns first or vice versa? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Starting a gun collection should i buy expensive guns first or vice versa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 875 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

By definition a collector would only seek or keep items of specific value. I have about 30+ myself that I wont ever sell but I only go for what I or my kids can/will shoot. My dad on the other hand has an unknown amount but I have seen him drop $10,000+ of a shot gun or riffle that he has no intent or real desire to ever shoot.
I am a hoarder, my dad is a collector.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #22

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

When I buy any gun if it's a $100 mosin or my ar I ju get a rush outta it an have to run to my buddy's house and shoot the hell outta it

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 AM   #23

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I'm 18 too and my list is almost exactly the same just minus the handguns, haven't really found an interest in them as of yet....then again I still haven't ever used one....

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

first off, i am not a collector. i have a collection of firearms, not a firearms collection. this means, all my firearms are shooters or have a distinct purpose when they were bought. some have almost a single purpose and are more for defence rather than pleasure. some get shot more than others. some people are eclectic in their buying of firearms, some buy them with a particular theme involved. but remember this when you look at buying one, is it something you really want to own and shoot or just to say you have one? then there are those firearms that are just moments of opportunity, such as at the right time and the right price. many of us make lists of those firearms that we want to own and shoot.

if or when there is a wife or girlfriend, you need to remember this important answer to the question they will at some point ask you, "don't you have enough guns?" and this is the answer you must use, "i am always two guns shy of enough!"

but get what makes you happy and don't just buy one just to own it. and above all else, enjoy them!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #25

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

To me, the purpose of collecting is the pure joy and pride of ownership that comes with owning and mastering quality guns.

Notice I said "quality" not "expensive". Though some quality guns are expensive, the terms are not mutually exclusive.

You have a fine list of quality arms and suggest starting with the one your heart desires most. And don't go to fast with the buying, takes the time to enjoy, tweak, and tune each to make it your own.

Tack

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

My priority was collecting a home first to put them in. A good handgun and a good lomg gun for self protection then hunker down and devote yourself to college or learning a trade. Start working on a down payment for a home.

You do NOT want to wait until your in your mid twenties or later to think about that!! You need to have priorities in line first.

Just my advice heed it or not up to you.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
My priority was collecting a home first to put them in. A good handgun and a good lomg gun for self protection then hunker down and devote yourself to college or learning a trade. Start working on a down payment for a home.

You do NOT want to wait until your in your mid twenties or later to think about that!! You need to have priorities in line first.

Just my advice heed it or not up to you.
I agree with this but i would say one pistol one shotgun one 22 rifle and a good deer rifle

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #28

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I buy whatever catches my eye. Tacticool, Milsurp bolt actions, hunting pieces, you name it. I remember I went out and bought a .303 SMLE on my 18th birthday, that started the whole thing! I suggest starting out with some less expensive Milsurp stuff and then getting used to the trade. The gun traders guide is a very useful book.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I buy whatever my heart desires first and most importantly, if my wallet allows me to.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #30

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
first off, i am not a collector. i have a collection of firearms, not a firearms collection. this means, all my firearms are shooters or have a distinct purpose when they were bought. some have almost a single purpose and are more for defence rather than pleasure. some get shot more than others.
I agree with this entirely. I never started out with the thought of "starting a collection". It just happened over time. I never really thought about adding this or that gun to "the collection". I bought what I wanted, and what spurred my interest at the time. I never bought a gun thinking I would make a killing on it later, because I've never sold a gun in my life. That will be my wife's job after I take a dirt nap.

Some guns will increase in value over time faster than others. Back in the 70's and 80's I got into big bore African rifle shooting. I purchased several of them in the big bore calibers. They were expensive then, but are all but unaffordable now. I didn't plan for that, it just happened. They best advise I can give anyone starting out is don't get into the habit of selling one gun to buy another. 99% of the time you'll regret it later. Keep what you have, and save for another.

I have a co-worker friend who constantly turns his gun collection over all the time. He's continually selling something to buy something else. It seems all he does is gripe about the guns "he used to have". He'll read about a gun in a magazine article. He'll get all hyped up over it and right away sell something to buy it. After a few months his interest weans off until he reads another article. Then..........you guessed it, he sells that gun to finance his next purchase. Buy what you like, and enjoy what you buy. The rest will take care of itself.
axxe55 Likes This