Stainless Versus Blued Steel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Stainless Versus Blued Steel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Default Stainless Versus Blued Steel?

I am wondering if there is a significant enough difference in accuracy between stainless versus blued steel to make you prefer one material over the other. Stainless costs more but is less rigid. All military rifles are blued steel (I think. Could be wrong) is this due to cost or accuracy or durability or a combination of these and more? If you could buy a Garand (or any other gun. AR15, Mini14 or what have you) in stainless or blued steel which one would you choose?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You will see absolutely no difference in accuracy between the two metals if the surround rifle is built to same spec.

I like stainless for it's corrosion resistance but the stainless used in guns is not like that used in knives or surgical implants....it will rust and it's slightly magnetic. It won't rust as fast as a blued gun but give it enough time and it will.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

stainless steel is more expensive thats about it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #4

i have seen this post so many times its killing me! lol search the forum man you will find anything and everything you want to know on this subject you will find there. at the bottom of this page it shows all of the past posts on this.

By the way stainless will not mess with your accuracy. this is a huge argument but one of my most accurate rifles is a stainless steel. three shots in or touching the first hole at 100 yards. id say that would fit most peoples classification of accurate.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #5

The reason I ask the question is because I am making a barrel strut for my stainless Mini14. I asked my engineer buddy if he had any chromoly steel tubing (I thought that was stiffer than mild cold-rolled steel) and he was saying that it is not, the two are nearly identical in stiffness (off the top of his head). He had the chromoly, mild and stainless in 3/4" tube and I also picked up some 1" heavy-wall aluminum that he said is far stiffer. He also said that the stainless is the least rigid and least strong of the bunch (I know it is softer and not as strong).

I am thinking of building several different barrel struts and doing direct comparisons using the same gun. If I ever get them all done I will post results. Don't hold your breath though.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Do you think stainless is used because it takes less labor than a Chrome Moly tube to make. The hand labor needed to polish and blue a carbon steel barrel is more than just polishing a stainless one. Marlin cut their cost cost big time by going to Micro groove rlfling. After all profit is what its all about.

DK

Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #7

I did try using the forum search but it didn't bring up any results. After I posted the threads came up. Not my fault. I searched before posting.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're comparing apples to oranges when you start talking moly, steel, aluminum and stainless all the same group. They have different properties and different uses. There are also countless variations of each as the alloys are manipulated to fill a certain need.
Without knowing what grade of each material your friend has there is no way to know which will work best.

Gun metals are not hard at all, they're actually quite soft. Going with the most rigid material could hurt your accruacy more then help it. A gun needs to grow as it gets warm and softer metals tend to grow more uniformly because they tend to displace heat more evenly. Rigid metals are also more prone to cracking and stress fractures.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
i have seen this post so many times its killing me! lol search the forum man you will find anything and everything you want to know on this subject you will find there. at the bottom of this page it shows all of the past posts on this.
Wow, I'm sure the OP didn't mean to bother you.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Wow, I'm sure the OP didn't mean to bother you.
No kidding. I had the same thought but you beat me to it.

Maybe we should just start a forum where it is forbidden to ever ask a similar question more than once?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."