Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Stainless Steel versus Blued Barrels: Which is better? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/stainless-steel-versus-blued-barrels-better-31909/)

TrueNorth 09-19-2010 03:16 AM

Stainless Steel versus Blued Barrels: Which is better?

Anyone want to inform me on the differences and overall features of a blued barrel over a stainless steel.

I've heard that the Stainless is less prone to corrosion/rusting, but that it heats up faster and can be less accurate in cold weather. It costs a bit more than blue too.

That said Blued looks better, works better in cold weather and is less prone to splitting.

Anyone care to confirm/dispell these ideas and let me know what your experiences have been?

cpttango30 09-19-2010 03:24 AM

SS is more resistant to rust.

I like the looks of SS barrels over blued barrels.

Never heard the cold weather thing. My ar does just fin hot or cold my 308 works just fine in cold or hot weather.

Not sure what barrel splitting. Unless you are talking about an obstruction in the barrel and trying to shoot it out.

I think SS last a bit longer if treated right it will not foul as bad.

TrueNorth 09-19-2010 03:31 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm thinking that SS is the way to go, but I had heard someone say that more stainless ones split than blued. I'm not sure if that's just a rumour or happenstance or whatnot.

M14sRock 09-19-2010 03:38 AM

Stainless is nice in bad weather. I changed a few years ago and have no regrets.

Stainless "splitting more" sounds like internet chatter.

CourtJester 09-19-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueNorth (Post 353119)
....I had heard someone say that more stainless ones split than blued. I'm not sure if that's just a rumour or happenstance or whatnot.

I've never heard of that before.
I always try to go for SS for what cpttango30 said.

GNLaFrance 09-19-2010 03:43 AM

As a matter of fact, most barrels are made of some form of stainless steel. Stainless has qualities that usually make it the best choice for a barrel. The grade of stainless steel most commonly used for firearms barrels is AISI #416, which is a free machining variation of #410. The main constituent in this alloy is chromium. Chromium improves wear resistance, corrosion and scaling at high temperatures. The wear that degrades accuracy is the hot, burning powder gasses eroding the throat area, the spot in the barrel where the bullet enters the rifling.

WhipLash 09-22-2010 01:27 AM

If you are going to have your gun out in wet weather then perhaps the stainless steel is the way to go. I have both kinds. I like the looks of a blued gun but some guns just look so much cooler in stainless steel. Get both and enjoy.

500mag_guy 09-22-2010 05:16 AM

I love the look of stainless steel over blued but thats the personal opinion side of it.

Some people say that a blued barrel is more accurate but i really dont think this is true because i have many stainless steel rifles and when you work the right load up you can get any rifle dialed in perfect. The cold/hot affecting the two i think is some B.S. Stainless will not rust where blued will rust quite easy if you get it wet. With both blued or stainless they are going to hot either way there is no going around that.

If there is anything else let me know but id go with stainless. you cant hurt it:D

Phadil 09-22-2010 07:01 AM

I'm not sure about this but arent bluing is a rust preventive measure? I mean sometimes people blued stainless steel too.

danf_fl 09-22-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phadil (Post 355259)
I'm not sure about this but arent bluing is a rust preventive measure? I mean sometimes people blued stainless steel too.

A "true" blue is a form of rust. I don't think that stainless will take the bluing process. There are other forms of coloration for stainless that get used.

and remember, rust resistant is not the same as rust proof.