Stainless -- does it spook game?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Stainless -- does it spook game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stainless -- does it spook game?

I'm in the market for my first bolt action hunting gun and I am looking seriously at a Savage 16FXP3 in .308. I like the looks of the black and silver and the idea of an all-weather gun I can take out in the woods for a few days if it is raining and I don't have to baby it or take it apart to keep it from rusting where I can't wipe WD-40.

But I wonder if stainless-steel barrels tend to spook game -- especially if the sun comes out. Any experience/opinions? Thanks.

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Liked 11163 Times on 4840 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

My old SXS 12 g has a bright polished blue- it is shinier than most satin or matte finished stainless steel rifles. Never been a problem. IMHO, deer pay attention to movement, not shine. Now, about the shiny lens of your scope........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Good point since deer and elk are color blind but see light reflected off materials in ways we can't. They can't tell Orange from Black. But taking the shine of stainless steel can't hurt and ought to help. They can see the Infrared and UV light reflected off plants and man made material. Clothes, metal reflect more than plants and look shiny and unnatural compared to the dull flat reflection off plants to a deer's eyes. As long as it's a dull finish how's a deer or elk gonna know it from a branch?

Deer and Elk are more interested in movement than reflections. The scope, that could be another problem as mentioned.

Of course being former military, it is better to be not seen and not heard. You could always try this....

Como form gun wrap.

Camo Form Gun Wrap, Sleeves & Camo, Gun Storage, Shooting :

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #4

That's a second on the camo wrap. It's reusable and will last for years when rerolled. I keep a couple rolls in my rifle case.
Cooper's Rules. RULE
Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default poll taken

7 out of 10 dear polled, preferred shinny guns and lots of movement, two had no preference, and one couldn't SEE CAMO as an option.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Don't sit out in the open, in the middle of the field, in the beaming sunlight and you should be ok.

If you want a stainless gun then get a stainless gun. It is really not going to make a difference unless you take and have it polished into a nice mirror like finish.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Supporting Member
Liked 3753 Times on 1807 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Some of the manufacturers offer rifle barrels which have been bead blasted. You can have this done yourself if you choose. Most tool and machine shops can perform this for you also. I have a 40X Remington Sniper Rifle that came shiny stainless since we had not specified otherwise. We used break and parts cleaner to assure all lubricant was off of the barrel. Then used flat black high temp wood burning stove paint on it and it has stood up for years. Just some ideas!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Liked 6913 Times on 3675 Posts
Likes Given: 519

head lights honking horns and the screaming woman at the wheel dont seem to bother em much.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I had my bright shiny Ruger bead blasted to a dull gray finish. Just seems sensible. I don't wear my tinfoil hat hunting either.