Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Stag 5 / 6.8 Rem-SPC JUNK JUNK (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/stag-5-6-8-rem-spc-junk-junk-31130/)

shikarchee 08-30-2010 08:49 PM

Stag 5 / 6.8 Rem-SPC JUNK JUNK

I bought this junk 3 weeks ago, it got stuck with live round all the time, had to take a screw drive and through mag port pry the bolt open. It also shots all over the place. Sent it back and got new upper, jamming is fixed, but accuracy sucks. At hundred yards, best group 7 inches. 1st shot from cold barrel is always 5-8 inches high, barrel get hot fast, I mean by 3rd shot and the my BB gun gives me a better accuracy. I have used every ammo that is out there in 110 Gr, and nothing much changes.

Stag tells me the worst grouping I get it should be around 2 inches, so before I try to sell this junk with big loss, can anyone give me any suggestions.

Thanks,

cpttango30 09-04-2010 09:10 AM

Did you give it a very through cleaning when you got it?

Did you try a different weight bullet? Maybe your rifle doesn't like the 110gr bullet?

I know my Remmy 700 223 will shoot in the .4" range with a 50gr V-Max and it shoots 52gr SMK in to .6" range. Do you handload or only buy factory ammo? If you buy your ammo have you tried a different brand or a different bullet?

MidwayUSA lists two pages of ammo for it. With everything from 85gr varmint bullets to 115gr SMK.

dog2000tj 09-04-2010 04:09 PM

How about some more info - like pics of your setup, targets, range, etc ...? There are a lot of folks here on this forum that may be able to help you out but I'm sure you will need to provide more info.

As for Stag, a few folks here own em', myself included, and I haven't read or heard of any complaints. What communications have you had with Stag?

More info, maybe you can get some help here. Good luck :)

shikarchee 09-04-2010 04:28 PM

Stag Model 5 / 6.8

All,

Thanks for your reply. I contacted stag and they sent me back another upper. The problem with live round jamming is resolved, yet the accuracy stayed the same. I do own a Olympic .223, which shoots like a dream with 55 gr ammo, but my 6.8 does not. I want to stay with 110gr, so I can hunt Deer and Coyotes with it, otherwise, I would have stayed with my .223.

Target is at 100 yards, in a perfect shooting environment, no wind, solid rest.

I did send it back to Stag, and they are going to shoot it and see what is going on, based on what I have read, this weapon has a capability if .70 grouping with average of 2-2.5 inch per Stag techy.
I get that type of result at 25 yards :(

cpttango30 09-04-2010 04:56 PM

You know it doesn't shoot good with 110gr bullets try the 115gr. For yotes I would be shooting the 85gr Varmint rounds. Yotes are really not that tough.

cpttango30 09-04-2010 04:57 PM

What kind of sights or optics are on it? If your shooting some cheap ass chinese junk like BSA or barska then that will hinder your shooting big time.

M14sRock 09-05-2010 01:31 AM

I have a couple of Stags in 5.56 and they are great. I've heard their customer service is excellent, too.

The groups you are getting are pretty bad, so hopefully they will resolve it for you.

Side note- My Savage .223 was shooting patterns like your Stag. Tried every factory load on the market just to see what it might like before I started trying to work up a load for it. Tried every load from Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, Remington, Ultramax, PMC and Winchester. Every weight from 50gr to 75gr. Tried every military load as well. They all shot 6"-8" patterns at 100 yards. Crap.

Then I saw that WalMart had 40 rd boxes of Winchester 45gr HP. Bought a box, and to my amazement they turned in .25" groups at 100! So I bought a couple of cases of the Win 45gr (came in 50rd boxes) and have not even bothered to work up a handload yet.

shikarchee 09-05-2010 04:42 PM

I put a Burris Signature and also Zeiss both 3x9.
I want to stay with 110 gr so I can shoot deer with it too.
Where I hunt in VA I get to see both of them all the time.
We see what Stag techies come back with, they have the upper now and they are going to fix this issue for me. They have been great far from Damn Kimber.