Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Springfield M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default M-14/M1A1 worth it?

I have owned and regulary shoot these rifles for quite some time now and they are genrally a good piece. The last one I bought was in 1997 and was the (SAI) M1A loaded version. (I must be lucky as I have had no problems with this one) At that time they could be had for around $1200.00. I see now they go for around $1800.00. The Smith Enterprises version is very good. It is true that the Garrand style action is, for lack of better words, "violent" compared to a gas impengment action but I dont find it to be that major of a problem for the way I use the gun. If you do decide to buy one and scope it, acquire a good quality light weight scope and keep the mount as low as possible. Also, the Garrand type action compared to the AR type action is not totally but considerably much more immune from the muck and mire and dirt that it may encounter. The .308 caliber will reach out their (400 to 500 yards) much more effectively than the .223 caliber. Unless finances are a heavy consideration I would buy one. Although I shoot mostly big bore bolt action, I feel everyone should have at least one Garrand style action as well as a AR style action in their stable. As far as close quarter situations, you cant beat a 12 ga. shotgun with 00B or 000B ammo. Hands down in my opinion any rifle or pistol, any action used, of any caliber just can't compare to a 12 ga. shotgun in close quarters. Of course as for that last statement it's just my opinion and opions are like A holes; Everybody has one.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for all the replies haha
learned alot
think i'm gonna pick up the standard as soon as i scratch up enough money...
should i go with synthetic or wood?
i plan on scoping it so what size or type would be good?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
thanks for all the replies haha
learned alot
think i'm gonna pick up the standard as soon as i scratch up enough money...
should i go with synthetic or wood?
i plan on scoping it so what size or type would be good?
Synthetic is cheaper, but the action really should be mounted to wood. Synthetic doesn't look right.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #44

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default M-14/M1A stock and scope

As far as wood or synthetic stocks I feel that it is more af a personal preferance than anything else. I perfer the wood stock over the synthetic but thats just me. I have shot the gun with a synthetic stock and it's just fine. I dont believe there is any significant weight savings with the synthetic stock over the wood stock, however, the synthetic is probably more durable to weather. Also there is a lot of aftermarket stocks for this gun which allows you to configure it most anyway you want. The factory stocks don't have a "QD" stud in the forestock and as I like to shoot in either the sitting or prone position with a bi-pod; I removed the sling strap ring that came rivited to the stock and fashioned a .0125 thickness mild steel plate the shape of the notch in the wood stock with 2 holes to match the holes the rivets in the wood stock came out of, welded a Uncle Mikes stud to this and bolted it to the wood stock with 10-32 grade 8 ovel head socket cap screws with 10-32 penn nuts. Looks like its a factory piece and I can mount my bi-pods. I use Harris Bi-pods. For the scope I'm using a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50mm LR/T M-1 Riflescope. I haven't decided yet which reticle I want yet but it will probably be a Mil Dot. This scope will serve second duty on a Reminton 700 chambered in .300 Win. Mag. For scope mounts matt G recomended the smith enterprise mount. The part number matt recomended is on his reply to me on a prevous thread reguarding Scope mount for M-14? I have ordered this mount, also, I ordered the McCann Industries scope mount as it appears to be a lower mount. These are both reciever mounts. I intend playing with both of these mounts and will decide which I like best when done I'm beating them up a bit.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-10-2009 at 09:44 PM.