Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Springfield M1A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Good deal.

Still, I would like to see a replacement that has closed bolt/open bolt capability so the man with the firepower can actually take point on occasion.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Good deal.

Still, I would like to see a replacement that has closed bolt/open bolt capability so the man with the firepower can actually take point on occasion.
What's the beef with the open bolt? We worked in 3 man teams. The ATL had the choice of the 203 or the SAW. I couldn't hit crap with a 203, so I grabbed the SAW. It was never a big deal for me to pull point, or even be the only man to recon the ORP.

I'd like to see them do away with the stupid magazine well. That thing is useless and just allows crap to get up inside the action. This was one of the corrections that they made on the Mk 46 Mod 0 program. It's been found that the Mk. 46 Mod 0 and the Mk 48 Mod 0 have a considerably lower failure rate than the M249s do.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When doing "stacks" the point man entering the house/structure is not allowed to have an open bolt weapon according to current doctrine.

The reasoning is that with an open bolt weapon more mechanical actions need to take place in order for the bullet to fire, which increases the possibility that the weapon might go "click" versus "bang". Basically the officials are trying to thwart murphy's law by looking at percentages.

Alot of people disagree with this line of thinking, but it is what it is, and that's that.

Out in the open field/urban streets is a different animal so personally I don't see the big deal, but I don't make policy I enforce it...lol.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
When doing "stacks" the point man entering the house/structure is not allowed to have an open bolt weapon according to current doctrine.

The reasoning is that with an open bolt weapon more mechanical actions need to take place in order for the bullet to fire, which increases the possibility that the weapon might go "click" versus "bang". Basically the officials are trying to thwart murphy's law by looking at percentages.

Alot of people disagree with this line of thinking, but it is what it is, and that's that.

Out in the open field/urban streets is a different animal so personally I don't see the big deal, but I don't make policy I enforce it...lol.
Strange. I had more malfunctions with an M4 or M16 than I ever did with an M249.

My Platoon Sergeant had a problem with the SAWs also. He saw them as an unreliable weapons system. I found through trial and error though, that most issues with the SAWs are caused by lack of cleaning and over oiling them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #35

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

No problems with my M4. My old M16 was horrible.

Most of the time it's lack of discipline on the troops part, but sometimes it's a genuine reliability issue.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
No problems with my M4. My old M16 was horrible.

Most of the time it's lack of discipline on the troops part, but sometimes it's a genuine reliability issue.
Being used to the larger, heavier M16, I went on a live fire range. We 're doing react to ambushes, both near and far. I sent a few thousand rounds through a brand new M4 in burst in about 10 minutes, just because the ammo had to be burnt. Needless to say, to ammo wasn't the only thing that was burnt.

An M4 that had 0 rounds through it when we hit the range had to be sent to 3rd shop due to extensive damage.

The next day, I was forced to run the range with a SAW. It was that experience that sold me on them. The effective range is so much greater than the M4/M16 and the H&K style sights on them were so much quicker for me to acquire targets with.

On later ranges, I found they were much more accurate as well. During zero with an M16 or M4, my groups were loose at best. With the SAW, even without the bipod on the ground, I could make all 3 shots touch.

Roger Waters

Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #37

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Why Sgt - Unless I miss my guess, it would appear SOMEONE has been visiting the Dave Lauck Website recently.... A $3600 1911 would definitely look good in your safe....... but really?

JD

Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Why Sgt - Unless I miss my guess, it would appear SOMEONE has been visiting the Dave Lauck Website recently.... A $3600 1911 would definitely look good in your safe....... but really?

JD
Looks like a bad TLE/RL II copy.

Roger Waters

Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #39

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Looks like a bad TLE/RL II copy.
I would say, chronologically, the roles would be reversed - buy about 6 years....

Dave Lauck of D&L Sports is REALLY proud of his work....

JD

Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #40

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Heck, I just liked the picture. Don't have a clue what brand of 1911 that is...lol.

EDIT: Changed it to an RIA 1911. Since I own one, maybe that's more fitting.