Springfield 1903A3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Springfield 1903A3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Default Springfield 1903A3

been thinking about getting one of these as a shooter. however my question i cant seem to find a good answer for is:

does shooting modern 30-06 off the shelf ammo safe for these or do i need to adhere to lesser loads??

prices seem to be anywhere from 900$ to 3000$

anyone got info on these old rifles or links so i can make a good decision. kinda looking for a website that i can edumacate myself on them. there are a few forum postings i find from google but lots of the info is contradictory.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just received two as a transfer for a customer. He bought them because the shooting club he is in decided to do a competition with a sporter style 1903A3
and he figured he'd get two and take all the best parts and make one decent gun, then sell the rest of the parts. They will be shooting to 600 yards and will be using normal 30-06 loads. Anyhow this gun is a bolt-action, so unlike a Garand, there are no auto-loading parts (Op Rod. etc) to damage.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2750 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Jon

There is nothing wrong with shooting good factory ammunition through the 1903 A-3. If you get a good one they are collectors items. I have one that is 99% condition like new and I shoot about ten rounds through it every year or so. Just like shooting it. And by the way she is a straight stock and comes straight back at you when firing it. God knows if you find a good original rifle don't Scr_w it up by sporterizing it. Id buy another rifle before I messed up one of the originals. They are not in abundance anymore.
And good ones are hard to find.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

no i want a military version. and sporterizing wont happen im a big fan of american military rifles. i just want a shooter im not terribly interested in a collector grade. i dont care if the parts are serially matching or not. there is one locally that hasnt sold for a while around 900$. but im not informed enough on these to make a good decision yet.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #5

I have a Springfield 03A3 that I am going to sell. It came from a military academy and was used very little. Was used in early WW2 and arsenal rebuilt. 1944 dated barrel. FJA cartouche on stock. Comes with original buttstock oiler and 1944 MRT marked canvas sling. If interested, PM me.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You should be able to find a pretty decent condition 03A3 for around $700.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a nice 1903-A3 and it shoots darn well. The A3 sights are very well suited for target shooting.

But if you can find one, don't overlook an Eddystone Model of 1917. I like mine very much, and it shoots as well (if not better) than the '03-A3.

I paid about $650 for the '03-A3 and about $750 for the M-1917.

TXnorton

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl View Post
I have a Springfield 03A3 that I am going to sell. It came from a military academy and was used very little. Was used in early WW2 and arsenal rebuilt. 1944 dated barrel. FJA cartouche on stock. Comes with original buttstock oiler and 1944 MRT marked canvas sling. If interested, PM me.
thanks for the offer but im not ready to get one yet. still trying to learn enough about them to make an intelligent decision.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Jon, You mean something like this?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

yeah, some time in the near future ill add one that looks pretty damn nice