Spray paint your rifle? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Spray paint your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Savage Axis, I have had it for about 3 years , its been a dead nuts accurate rifle . I had some trigger work done on it because it wasnt real great not having the accutrigger ,but thats it.
Nice what caliber is it? Do you have any range results?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #22

Liked 1139 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

.223 , I can cover a 3 shot group with a nickel using cheap Remington UMCs

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotOfPayne View Post
How do you feel about spray painting your rifle or rifles would you just spray paint your inexpensive ones or would you spray paint any rifle you own or do you think spray painting a gun is dumb also do you think it decreases the value on like a synthetic stock ???

I use Krylon rattle cans for painting synthetic stocks all the time.

Reasons:

1. I hate....say again....hate a black stock. In particular, I'm not a big fan of AR's, and cant stand all black rifles of this type.

2. Camo is better when one doesn't want to be seen. ( If it wasn't, then ghillie suits wouldn't be worth wearing, and hitting up rifles with rattle can paint wouldn't be worth the effort either.)

3. I don't have any use for the selector hole in the side of an M14 synthetic stock when it comes to fitting one for a semiautomatic clone, such as an M1A, M14S, or LRB's M14SA/M25.
I fill them in, prep the stock, then paint them.

I filled both of the stocks pictured below (selector lever holes. The paint used was Krylon "CAMO" brown.
close-up-op-rod-side-receivers-both.jpg  

Grunt

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
depends on the rifle and the look i'm after. first of all, i hate plain black synthetic stocks, regardless of what brand or rifle they are on. they look cheap. every synthetic stock i own has a camo finish, either the one they came from the factory with or one of my camo paint jobs. some of my rifles with synthetic stocks get changed out to a laminate stock to dress them up. personally i never paint the metalwork when i do mine, but have seen others do great jobs painting the entire rifle, including the scope. comes down to persoanl preference. i can't see where it would decrease the value unless the job was done poorly with little to no proper prep work before doing the painting. in some cases it could even increase the value a little. again it comes down to personal preference. again, i don't paint the metalwork on mine, simply because if i did want to revert back to completely stock configuration it would be much easier if the need were to arise.

a few of my painted stocks and laminates.
Good lookin stocks you have there.

Grunt

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #25

Below pics are another example of why I have a reason to paint a stock.

1. Selector lever hole filled.

2. M14's flip up buttplate replaced with that of an M1 Garand. The slot was filled, then formed to match the stock's natural contour.

3. Front feral widened to clear gas cylinder.

4. Brownwell "brown" rattle can paint.

selector-hole-filled.jpg   m14-stock-m1-garand-buttplate.jpg   front-ferrell-widened.jpg  

Grunt

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #26

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Fragout, looks like some nice work! The stocks look great. What did you use to fill them with. I ask because I recently did the same thing with an old wood stock. I used jbweld.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

This is my marlin x7vh in 308. I used camo krylon. I decided to do this myself because it's an inexpensive rifle I plan on keeping forever. If this were a custom build I'd spend the money and have it professionally coated. Someday I'll have the barrel cut and crowned at 20" and buy a boyds wood stock.

1389277929864.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse80 View Post
Fragout, looks like some nice work! The stocks look great. What did you use to fill them with. I ask because I recently did the same thing with an old wood stock. I used jbweld.
I used liquid metal Permatex ( A sort of pre mixed JB weld) for fill, and also prepped the selector lever hole with a few small screws to support the fill and act as a sort of "rebar" inside the filled area. (It helps prevent the filled area from developing cracks later on and after shooting the rifle over time.

The 2 stocks mounted on rifles above were filled back in 2007, and have held up fine after thousands of rds thru the rifle.
( The M14S sees a lot of use, and is my primary hunting rifle.)

The rattle can paint makes it easy and fast to touch up, and/or add a different color. Rattle can paint makes it very easy to match camo to specific foliage in any area, and/or match seasonal changes.

It's also not much trouble to strip off if I ever get the urge for a professional Cerekote paint job in the future.

I have a Ruger SR762 that might end up getting a Cerekote coating in something like the below pattern.....
ceracote-h267-flat-dark-earth-h226-patriot-brown-h247-desert-sage.jpg  

Grunt

Last edited by fragout; 01-09-2014 at 04:09 PM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #29

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Nice mr fox I have the same exact gun that I posted on here except mine is a 22-250 do you like the trigger and what size groups have you been getting any pics of the range results

Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 792 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I did mine with krylon

rifle2.jpg   rifle.jpg