Spray paint your rifle? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Spray paint your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 787

My grandsons Cricket,
This was my trial paint job.

He loves it, calls it Copperhead.
Its tough, and does not scratch.

Jim
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #12

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
My grandsons Cricket,
This was my trial paint job.

He loves it, calls it Copperhead.
Its tough, and does not scratch.

Jim
That is a cool looking rifle. Great paint job!
phideaux Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #13

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

I have painted a couple rifles... You guys may gave seen ten on here.... The AR that is my profile pic I "spray painted".
Degreased it and used brownells paint as me base layers. Touched up a few brighter areas with standard spray paint.

image-4057297735.jpg

The hardest part of painting a $1900 weapon ststem is the first squirt.... Then your committed!!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6673 Times on 3552 Posts
Likes Given: 503

if your going to paint a firearm at least get some decent paint and a hobbyist airbrush they are not that pricey.

spray paint in a rattle can is on the same level as buying a lorcin 25 to go fight the taliban... the only thing spray paint is good for is gangs leaving a mark one someone's building or painting a steel target your gonna shoot. thats about it.

the stuff is cheap junk for a reason.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

.... I'd have to disagree. Get the right kind, and apply it with some forethought and your projects can come out great.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse80 View Post
.... I'd have to disagree. Get the right kind, and apply it with some forethought and your projects can come out great.
Agree Jesse, as long as you take the time to clean it and let it dry, then put down your base layers, let them dry then put on your top layers, let them dry, then I clear coat like lots of layers let it dry and mine turned out great
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if your going to paint a firearm at least get some decent paint and a hobbyist airbrush they are not that pricey.

spray paint in a rattle can is on the same level as buying a lorcin 25 to go fight the taliban... the only thing spray paint is good for is gangs leaving a mark one someone's building or painting a steel target your gonna shoot. thats about it.

the stuff is cheap junk for a reason.
i have to disagree as well Jon. the paint used or the method it's applied are almost irrelevent to a degree. the key to making paint stick and last, is all in the prep work before evr putting any paint on. i worked in the collision industry for many years and have learned what it takes to make paint stick. even the most expensive paint and the best there is won't stick if the prep work isn't done properly.

i put a lot of attention into my prep work on my rifles, long before i ever put the first layer of color down. another key factor is to spray many lighter coats allowing ample drying time in between the coats rather that a few thick coats.

i use the Krylon Camo Flat paints on my stocks and have a couple that have been on them for several years and areholding up to abuse quite well so far. i even did the rocker panels of my old truck with the Krylon Camo paint over four years ago. this truck isn't babied or even hand washed. it goes down dirt roads and gravel roads and might see the car wash a few times a year, and those rocker panels are holding up very well to the abuse. but the big factor was the prep work i put into it before i painted them.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #18

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Jon,
A Lorcin 25 . LOL havent seen one of those in a while. At least I can count on mine to fire when I pull the trigger even if it is ugly . I have a hard time paying someone for a airbrush job for something that need to be flat paint , gets beat around and used alot on a rifle thats really not that expensive . If I was building a show piece / safe queen different story
This is my yote gun , I tried to make it blend in wiht my yearly surroundings because we go from very green to burnt to a crisp grass throughout our season

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Purehavok nice gun mine is also my coyote gun. What is that a savage axis or the ruger American there stock is so similar. Also what caliber? Mine is a 22-250 marlin
therewolf Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #20

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotOfPayne View Post
Purehavok nice gun mine is also my coyote gun. What is that a savage axis or the ruger American there stock is so similar. Also what caliber? Mine is a 22-250 marlin
Savage Axis, I have had it for about 3 years , its been a dead nuts accurate rifle . I had some trigger work done on it because it wasnt real great not having the accutrigger ,but thats it.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
therewolf Likes This