Spray paint your rifle?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Spray paint your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default Spray paint your rifle?

How do you feel about spray painting your rifle or rifles would you just spray paint your inexpensive ones or would you spray paint any rifle you own or do you think spray painting a gun is dumb also do you think it decreases the value on like a synthetic stock ???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM   #2

Liked 2433 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 553

There are a lot of ways to approach it. Also some things to ask yourself.

Is the rifle one that you plan to keep forever? Is the rifle a collector piece for you or a practical tool? Will painting it do anything functionally for you? If the paint is for practical camouflage, are you going to want to change color schemes for seasons or terrain?

If you are going to keep the rifle, then it doesn't really matter. If its not a collector piece for you, it doesn't really matter.

If you are wanting to add value, it could be best to use one if the tougher coatings instead of basic spray paint, but these are more permanent. If you want versatility to change color for season or terrain, you could go with one color of a resin type costing, and add spray paint colors for seasons. Then clean off the spray paint, and add a different color for a different season.

Or just go with a single camo
Pattern in a high quality costing, or go the other end of the spectrum and just use Krylon and change colors when you want.

If you are looking to resell, and you are worried about value, Krylon may be the way to go. It can be cleaned off, but its a pain to get the gun back to original condition. Or have it professionally coated.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22106 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotOfPayne View Post
How do you feel about spray painting your rifle or rifles would you just spray paint your inexpensive ones or would you spray paint any rifle you own or do you think spray painting a gun is dumb also do you think it decreases the value on like a synthetic stock ???
depends on the rifle and the look i'm after. first of all, i hate plain black synthetic stocks, regardless of what brand or rifle they are on. they look cheap. every synthetic stock i own has a camo finish, either the one they came from the factory with or one of my camo paint jobs. some of my rifles with synthetic stocks get changed out to a laminate stock to dress them up. personally i never paint the metalwork when i do mine, but have seen others do great jobs painting the entire rifle, including the scope. comes down to persoanl preference. i can't see where it would decrease the value unless the job was done poorly with little to no proper prep work before doing the painting. in some cases it could even increase the value a little. again it comes down to personal preference. again, i don't paint the metalwork on mine, simply because if i did want to revert back to completely stock configuration it would be much easier if the need were to arise.

a few of my painted stocks and laminates.
misc.-005-098.jpg   misc.-005-125.jpg   misc.-005-208.jpg   misc.-005-233.jpg   misc.-005-235.jpg  

misc.-006-095.jpg   misc.-006-102.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #4

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Personally, I have a hard enough time keeping up with a gun that has a wood stock and gloss finish. Usually when I go hunting I have more than just hunting in mind. I have seen people set camouflage guns down. Then we had to line up and search the area for 30 minutes or longer before we recovered the gun.

People killed just as much or more game before anyone ever sold a camouflage weapon/stock. If birds flared the chances are it was because your face was glowing not the gun. If you have ever rode in a helicopter over an area where men were training you see their faces, not their guns. I didn't serve in the day of camo weapons. The M16A1 rifle was black and shiny. The best way to stop birds from flaring is don't look up until you are ready to shoot. You can hear the whistle of the birds wings, look up when the birds are in range.

If birds and other game were frightened by shiny objects they would never reach their destination. Movement is what catches the eye of game animals and humans. If you can sit perfectly still the chances are that neither man or beast can find you.

In conclusion there no reason to paint a weapon, unless it has been abused. Leave it the way it came from the manufacturer it will look better longer. You can sell it for more money. When I see cerakote or spray paint the first thing that comes to my mind is abuse, leading me to consider a the cost of a new stock when I buy the gun.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

I asked the question to see if you as a person would paint yours I no not to paint collectible guns but I have a inexpensive but nice marlin 22-250 26" heavy barrel but it was just too plain black synthetic stock like axxe said I didn't paint any metal I took the gun apart and just painted the stock it looked ok for awhile but I got tired of it because I just had it a solid tan so yesterday I took every thing apart and painted the whole gun and scope but I did not paint the action or scope turrets imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389190191.045960.jpg
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1389190227.635248.jpg

Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

*Sorry that's know not no

Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

My Savage 11 Trophy Hunter, I love this tack driver, and just wanted to do something for it.
Easy to do, been like this for quite a whie, mostly a range gun , but Coyote hunter also.
10 coats of clearcoat , and not a single scratch.

Jim

People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #8

Nice Jim that is a really good looking rifle. There is nothing wrong with my rifle either I just got tired of the plain black stock. Plus ill be using mine in the field, how did you get that pattern on there?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotOfPayne View Post
Nice Jim that is a really good looking rifle. There is nothing wrong with my rifle either I just got tired of the plain black stock. Plus ill be using mine in the field, how did you get that pattern on there?
I sprayed the stock with 2-3 coats of Rustoleum plastic primer.( after extreme cleaning and 400 grit wiping, with denatured alcohol. If you dont like the primer color, spray Fusion color of choice , for a base.
Let dry 24 hrs.
Then used a ladies ,size large, fish net panty hose from Walmart, stretched one leg, over stock to cling and strech to my liking for pattern.

Then sprayed, straight on, with flat black, Fusion from Walmart, about 2-4 coats, let dry 24 hrs. Remove panty hose.

Spray with enamel clear coat, 8-10 coats , let dry 7 days, than applied Meguiars NXT polymer car polish, wipe down to high luster.

Tougher than wood finish.

Jim

Last edited by phideaux; 01-08-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

Nice you can't tell in my pictures, but I used a net type material for the top layer