Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Spotting Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Spotting Scope

I'm looking into getting a cheap spotting scope. Is this one really that bad?

It's the NCStar Spotting Scope 15-40x 50mm with tripod. The link is to a green one. I might look for a black one, though.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

For $24, who cares? If it ends up working out for you, excellent. If it doesn't it is only $24, give it to little kid as a gift. No big deal. Get it, give us a nice review.

Six people viewed and no one could say something simple like that.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alrighty. I ordered it, 100 paper targets, and a case for my shotgun. I'll let y'all know how it goes. It should be here on 8/15. I should have my girlfriend calling shots by 8/16

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Alrighty. I ordered it, 100 paper targets, and a case for my shotgun. I'll let y'all know how it goes. It should be here on 8/15. I should have my girlfriend calling shots by 8/16
If your girlfriend is like most women she has been calling the shots for quite some time now...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
If your girlfriend is like most women she has been calling the shots for quite some time now...
Hahaha, that's tru...not her at all. She definitely doesn't call the shots (I have to say that because she won't let me tell the truth ). I wear the pants in the relationship, she just picks them out for me.

Jokes aside, she's actually awesome about all of my hobbies. She's my range partner and is starting to outshoot me with our 22 rifle. She catches on quick!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alrighty guys, I ordered it a couple of days ago and it got in today.

First impressions: I like it. It feels cheap, but for $24 I can't expect miracles. I did an initial look and at about 275 yards I could read a One Way sign that I couldn't see otherwise. The focus ring works well through all zooms, and all zooms look relatively clear. My biggest problem with it is that the tripod is a total POS. It's like 4" high. I have to cock my friggin' head sideways to use it properly! The other thing is that my eyeball is practically touching the lens before I can see anything...and that's just uncomfortable, but that seems like a characteristic of spotting scopes and my discomfort simply shows my inexperience with spotting scopes. On the plus side, it looks pretty good and comes with a really good looking case....I mean the case is cheap, but it does its job.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

I have a NC Star 20x-60x and if you can see any bullet holes past 100 yards good luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My two local ranges are 100yds and 110yds max, so I don't have to see anything beyond that. However, how do you like your 20x-60x?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #9

I don't although for your ranges it would work just fine.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Uh oh, that kind of worries me now