Speer vs Hornady Soft Points - Differences?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Speer vs Hornady Soft Points - Differences?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Speer vs Hornady Soft Points - Differences?

Hello,

I'm an Indiana boy and, as such, don't know much about rifles.

I use them to plink and knock over coyotes. Growing up we had to use slugs or handguns for deer, though we can now use handgun-round-chambered rifles for them.

Anyway, when I want to knock over coyotes, I usually just grab something soft-point. Seems to do the job just fine.

Recently I grabbed a couple partial boxes of Hornady and Speer soft points off of Gunbroker for not a lot.

They both load shoot nicely with 45 grains Varget from a 7.62x54R. COAL is about 2.90" with the bullets caliber deep.

My question is, what's the difference? The Speer says on the box "spitzer soft point" and the Hornady appear to be interlocks.

Both are 150 grains or thereabouts.

What are the differences between these two bullets? Just cosmetic?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

There is not a whole lot of difference. In some rifles I have had, the Speer was more accurate, in others, the Hornady was more accurate. That just depends on what each particular rifle likes. Most Hornady game bullets have a cannulure (sp?) where Speers do not. That may make a difference if you want to crimp the bullet. Both of them perform well on game.
cottontop

Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Yeah, what cottontop said. In my 30'06, the Hornady's are a bit more accurate than any others I've tried so they get the nod. Other guns I load for aren't very particular so I use whatever I can find in the bullet style I'm looking for for the least money.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

Go with the most accurate! Ya can't kill what you don't hit in a vital area!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

In my rifles, the Speer is a trifle more accurate. But the difference is small.

I shoot five 10 shot groups at 200 yards for accuracy.

Generally in my heavy barrel .308, the Speers will average 1.8 to 2.1 iches, and the Hornadys 2.1 to 2.4. (Remember, these are an average of 5 ten shot groups at 200 yards)

That isn't enough difference to matter in a .30 calibre rifle unless you're shooting bench rest matches.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #6

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Bullet construction... great question. Speer bullets, the old hot core type use a soft lead. If pushed to fast you can get seperation when the bullet expands, not an issue w/ 7.62x54r. Hornady are slightly harder lead and have a ridge it keep the core from slipping, again not an issue for 7.62x54r. Whatever is cheaper. I know the Speer are. As long as accuracy is good you will have no issues including whitetail sized game. Hope this helped. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks guys!

I've noticed my Mosin likes whatever has the longest bearing surface and that usually means lead round nose. However, I have several hundred pulled .311 bullets I bought for practice and they all weigh in at 147 to 149 grains, so I'll stick with what I'm zeroed at. I also like speed in my rifles for the shock; I carry a .45 in a handgun only because I can't get the speed for any appreciable shock effect so I want a big hole!

I've not measured the bearing surfaces. I'll have to do that. The Speer looks like it might have the edge there, though. We'll see.

I kinda' thought the Hornady might be more precise because the weight appears to be shifted toward the back some.

I'll just have to get out and shoot when I can cross the creek again.

Didn't figure there was much difference in terminal performance, but the Hornady tip did feel a bit harder.

Was thinking about going with a varmint bullet in 125 grains, but the lead is long on almost any Mosin and I feel I probably need longer bullets.

Thanks!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me