Speculating On Rifle Prices?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Speculating On Rifle Prices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Speculating On Rifle Prices?

Did you ever invest in certain rifles going up in value due to various events or timing like the 100th Anniversary of this or the likely banning of that, how, and how'd it work out for ya?

I think I'm gonna gamble that the election of the new Pope will usher in a very strong demand for surplus Argentine Mausers and Boxer Primed 7.65 ammo in the near future.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #2

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

You should never say that you bought a gun just to sell it and make money. That would make you a "dealer" and require a FFL.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

The only thing I speculated on was Ammo and AR-15's. I bought 10,000 rounds of 5.56mm and 10 AR-15's i sold them all at premium prices.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
You should never say that you bought a gun just to sell it and make money. That would make you a "dealer" and require a FFL.
no not really. engaged in the business means you do it at a level in which your making enough money to qualify as making a living wage at it.

buying firearms in expectation of them going up in value doesnt hit that mark as long as your not doing a lot of it. most of the private non-ffl folks that deal in class 3 machine guns do it just for that reason.

if your buying and selling a few guns here and there is different than selling 50to a 100 or more a year. it is a grey area and the more you do it the closer you get to attracting scrutiny.

unless a special edition is something like a winchester 1873 one in a thousand or one in 100 which go for tens of thousands in good condition special editions dont hold any value and often decrease the gun value. same is true for guns that have been custom engraved or custom coloured or custom plated or custom tuned or custom "gunsmithed"

for example a "john wayne" colt saa dont sell very well but you can sell an unmucked with colt saa in 45 pretty snappy quick.

i dont think argentine anything will hold any special value because of the pope. several centuries back popes were pretty brutal and cruel individuals and weapons of war might have had some appeal based on the pope's troops. today popes and war guns really dont mesh up so i seriously doubt an argentinian pope will translate to argentine mausers going up in price in any real way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...