You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Spanish mauser 1916 short rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Spanish mauser 1916 short rifle

Anyone familiar with the 1916 short rifle accuracy wise? Just finished a restoration of one in 7x57 mauser. Reblued and refinished. Ironed out the dents. I put a lot of work into it. Just wondering what others experiences with one of these has been.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 3467 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Might have wanted to shoot it before dedicating a lot of time to refinishing it.

But, my experience with 7x57mm Spanish Mausers seems to indicate that they are usually pretty capable of good accuracy with good loads.

I've got a sporterized one that my grandfather and grandmother each, took several deer with. I've had it to the range, and with Remington ammo off the shelf, it is good for about one and a half to one and three quarter inch groups. With some conservative hand loads I can shrink groups to just slightly under an inch.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4117 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

They were made for 175 gr bullets. The lighter 140's may or may not give decent accuracy. I have 2 of these little darlings and love them. I can get 3" all day with a variety of ammo.

I also load a 135 gr gas check hard cast bullet just for giggles. Lee had the molds on sale a few years back. I could not pass on a 2 cavity mold, with handles for $17.95.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4001 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 22272

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Might have wanted to shoot it before dedicating a lot of time to refinishing it.

But, my experience with 7x57mm Spanish Mausers seems to indicate that they are usually pretty capable of good accuracy with good loads.

I've got a sporterized one that my grandfather and grandmother each, took several deer with. I've had it to the range, and with Remington ammo off the shelf, it is good for about one and a half to one and three quarter inch groups. With some conservative hand loads I can shrink groups to just slightly under an inch.
I get about the same results with mine. It is the only mil-surp that I take afield for hunting that is still in original trim. Mine likes the 174 gr Privi Partisan rounds best and the Federal Fusions in 173 gr. run a close second.

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to put 5 through the same hole at 100 yards, but that is not what the rifle was originally made to do. I can honesty say that it will probably shoot minute of deer al day long. I do however have to ask the same question that SSGN-Doc asked. Why didn't you fire it before you restored it?
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I guess I didn't want to butcher a good shooter. I got it $100 and figured it was a good learning rifle. If I screwed it up then I really only wasted $100. It turned out very well so I now have the confidence to work on a more collectible rifle. If its a good shooter then I win. If its a lousy shooter the I have a gorgeous wall hanger.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Finally got to a range with it. 3.5 to 4 inch groups at 100yds. Slightly better using a rest maybe a shade short of 3 inches. I'll take that.