spanish fr8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > spanish fr8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default spanish fr8

what is the general opinion of the spanish fr8. i bought one at dunhams some years ago for $160. now i see they are selling for $350-400. did they really go up in value? i like the looks and the fact that its short, almost like a poor mans mini 14. but i can't see it being worth that much, even in good shape.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #2

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

The FR8 is a training rifle. The Spainish converted '98 actions to make a trainer for the Cetme. Great rifle and yes, they have gone through the roof collectors wise.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The FR8 is a training rifle. The Spainish converted '98 actions to make a trainer for the Cetme. Great rifle and yes, they have gone through the roof collectors wise.
They were also "Civil Guard" rifles for the reserves. Great rifles.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I love my FR-8. They were all over the place 20 years ago for $150. There are no more being imported so they are increasing in value.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I love my FR-8. They were all over the place 20 years ago for $150. There are no more being imported so they are increasing in value.

Actually a bunch of FR-7's and 8's just came in. The Civil Gaurdia FR7 in mass.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Really? I had not heard that. I amy have to ger an FR-7 to round out the Spanish collection. Please don't get started on the "is the FR-7 safe in .308?". I know it is a small ring action and 'potentially" not as strong as the large ring FR-8. I shoot reduced loads in all my antique rifles.
If someone is stupid enough to shoot full power ammo through a 70+ year old rifle, maybe a bolt or cocking piece through the eye socket is just Darwinism.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Really? I had not heard that. I amy have to ger an FR-7 to round out the Spanish collection. Please don't get started on the "is the FR-7 safe in .308?". I know it is a small ring action and 'potentially" not as strong as the large ring FR-8. I shoot reduced loads in all my antique rifles.
If someone is stupid enough to shoot full power ammo through a 70+ year old rifle, maybe a bolt or cocking piece through the eye socket is just Darwinism.
Ya mean it ain't safe?
PM sent on wholesaler.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

SAAMI max pressure specs for 7 X 57 is 51,000 PSI
SAAMI max pressure spec for .308 Win is 62,000 PSI

The FR-7 is a small ring action originally chambered in 7 X 57 (7mm Mauser). The small ring action has two locking lugs. The later large ring action has a third (safety) lug and is considered stronger.

Will the FR-7 blow up in your face the first time you shoot a modern .308 round through it? Probably not.

It is not "rated" for that much pressure. The receiver is over 70 years old. It is unknown how the receiver was treated over those years.

At the very least I would;
A. Have it tested (magnafluxed)
B. Handload reduced power ammo for it. (a 150 gr soft point at 2400-2500 fps is just as deadly)

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Gotta throw in my two cents worth, the issue is Spain used a reduced load for their NATO 7.62 CETME and the bolt actions. Spanish military ammo is loaded to about 20% less pressure than the rest of NATO's. Therefore they had no pressure issue using that stuff in their old bolt actions (essentially a simple barrel swap from 7mm) until they could get all of their military outfitted with the self loading rifle. The issue of a US importer someday buying their surplus rifles and bringing them to a country where the ammo is hotter wasn't Spain's concern in those days.

US NATO and commercial .308 will therefore fit into the chamber and will shoot too. However, you need to realize there will be pressure issues. Heat treating has changed a lot since 1916. Steel formulations have changed too.

One of the 7.62 1916 carbines was my first .308 rifle. $60 if my memory serves. Zeroed it with US Military surplus Match 7.62mm ammo. Dropped it into a new stock, accraglassed it, lowered the top of the rear sight a hair so it was dead on at 100 yds. instead of 330, and proceeded to take about 14 or so deer with it over the next 4 or 5 years, using Remington .308 SP ammo. Weighs about 7 pounds. It was shelved before learning about the ammo issue. It was shelved simply because 7.62/.308 is not the best choice for Bambi at close range (5 to 25 yards). I don't like exit holes and deer that run away. I prefer a more efficient energy transfer and when I found one, the 1916 was shelved for use as a loaner rifle. I can report no ammo problems were ever observed here. Maybe 200 rounds of commercial .308 hunting and US 7.62 military ammo were fired in it. No stretch rings on the cases, no enlargement of primer pockets, no observable battering or cracks in the locking lugs. I have looked for such warning signs and not found them. Still I have loaded about 30 rounds of reduced power ammo just in case a day ever comes when that 1916 is wanted again.

Last edited by superc; 06-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Only the CETME 'A' and 'B' models used the 'reduced load' - the common Modelo 'C', which our Spanish Ladies are based on, were designed for standard 7.62X51 loads, as was the FR8 Mauser- this has been verified by Spanish owners reading from the original manuals.
The FR7 and M1916 Guardia Civil were tested some while back by an independent lab - they NEVER had one kaboom using factory .308Win ammo.
In my online reading, I have NEVER read of a verifiable case of one of these rifles kabooming with factory ammo - the few that have occured were due to HOT handloading. There HAVE been Spanish Mausers suffering bolt lug setback - easy to check for.
I load 7.62X51 to moderate levels for my M1916 and FR8, just to be safe. The CETME gets full power 7.62X51, same as it's designed Santa Barbara ammo is rated at. I find my CETME far more forgiving of ammo variances than the average 'gas rifle'. I do keep to the 147 - 150 grain bullet weight, as that is what the roller locking system is timed for.
I had paid $240 for my FR8 a few years back, and have been well pleased with it. Recoil is manageable, not as bad as an 8mm Mauser or the Russian M44 carbine.